2020 Reading List
As I've done for several years now, here is my reading list from 2020. Due to the pandemic, it was a very good reading year. I read 91 books and 28,044 pages, including rereading the entire Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. There were 13 books which I started but did not finish, which was the same amount as the year before.
As I list the books, if I have written about a book in a blog post, I will link to it. If I think a book is good enough to warrant buying it in order to read it (that would be the very best books I read this year), I will put an '*' next to the title. I will also notate genre and whether I read it out loud.
F = Fiction
NF = Non-fiction
M = Mystery
YA = Young adult or juvenile
RA = Read aloud
Ready? Here we go.
1. The Learning Tree: Overcoming Learning Disabilities from the Ground Up - Stanley I. Greenspan (NF)
-Not much new information in here for me, and J. had to stop reading it because he couldn't stand the poor writing style.
2. The Ten Thousand Doors of January - Alix E. Harrow (F) *
3. The Girl Who Reads on the Metro - Christine Feret (F)
4. The Bookshop of Yesterdays - Amy Meyerson (F)
5. The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness - Sy Montgomery (NF - RA)
6. The Horse: The Epic History of our Noble Companion - Wendy Williams (NF)
7. This Is Where You Belong: The Art and Science of Loving the Place You Live - Melody Warnick (NF)*
-The asterisk is for anyone who has recently moved and wants to feel more a part of the place they are living.
8. A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles (F)*
-This was the best book I read during the year. It has also moved into my top five favorite books of all time. Highly, highly recommended.
9. Spiritual Parenting: An Awakening for Today's Families - Michelle Anthony (NF)
10. The Miracles of Jesus - Jessica Lagrone (NF)*
-This is a very excellent Bible study. If you are looking for a study to work through, I highly recommend it.
11. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (F)
-Believe it or not, I had never read it. I also have extremely mixed feelings about it. What a tough book.
12. Caravan - Dorothy Gilman (F)
13. Anatomy of the Soul: Surprising Connections Between Neuroscience and Spiritual Practices that can Transform Your Life and Relationships - Curt Thompson (NF)*
-A joining of brain science and theology, what's not to like?
14. There are not Problem Horses, Only Problem Riders - Mary Twelveponies (NF)
15. Mara: Daughter of the Nile - Eloise Jarvis McGraw (YA -F-RA)
16. Rules of Civility - Amor Towles (F)
17. The Book Charmer - Karen Hawkins (F)
18. The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield (F)
19. Paris by the Book - Liam Callanan (F)
This is possibly the most boring book I ever read. I only finished because I kept hoping that something, anything, would happen. But it didn't.
20. The Red Fox - Anthony Hyde (F)
21. Treasure Island - Robert Lewis Stevenson (F-RA)
22. Hunter Seat Equitation - George H. Morris (NF)
23. The Second Worst Restaurant in France - Alexander McCall Smith (F)
24. No Way to Treat a First Lady - Christopher Buckley (F)
25. Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters (M)
26. The Curse of the Pharaohs - Elizabeth Peters (M)
27. The Mummy Case - Elizabeth Peters (M)
28. The Clan of the Cave Bear - Jean M. Auel (F)*
- I had never read this so grabbed it in my run through the library to grab books before the lock-down. It was much better than I was anticipating since I tend to not believe the hype about things.
29. Lion in the Valley - Elizabeth Peters (M)
30. The Deeds of the Disturber - Elizabeth Peters (M)
31. The Girl with the Louding Voice - Abi Dare (F)*
- Set in Nigeria, it was a tough read in some places, but ultimately hopeful.
32. The Snake, the Crocodile, and the Dog - Elizabeth Peters (M)
33. The Hippopotamus Pool - Elizabeth Peters (M)
34. The Wonderful Adventures of Nils - Selma Lagerlof (F-RA)
35. Eager: The Surprising, Secret Life of Beavers and Why They Matter - Ben Goldfarb (NF)*
-Very good natural science writing [There are two different blog posts for this book.]
36. Seeing a Large Cat - Elizabeth Peters (M)
37. The Ape Who Guards the Balance - Elizabeth Peters (M)
38. A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle (F-RA)
39. The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion (F)*
-A fun read
40. A Wind in the Door - Madeleine L'Engle (F-YA-RA)
41. Guardian of the Horizon - Elizabeth Peters (M)
42. After the Boxes are Unpacked: Moving on After Moving In - Susan Miller (NF)
43. The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend - Katarina Bivard (F)
44. A River in the Sky - Elizabeth Peters (M)
45. Before We Were Yours - Lisa Wingate (F)
46. A Swiftly Tilting Planet - Madeleine L'Engle (F-YA-RA)
47. The Art of Inheriting Secrets - Barbara O'Neal (F)*
-Because who doesn't love a book where the main character inherits a title and an estate she had no idea about?
48. Educated: A Memoir - Tara Westover (NF)
-I don't know whether to recommend this or not. It is definitely intriguing in a very painful way.
49. The Secret Chapter - Genevieve Cogman (F)*
-If you love the Invisible Library, this is the most recent title.
50. The Gown - Jennifer Robson (F)
51. Secret Water - Arthur Ransome (F-YA-RA)
52. A Deadly Inside Scoop - Abby Collette (M)
53. Dragonfly - Leila Meacham (F)*
-If you enjoy books set in WWII, you'll enjoy this one about operatives in Paris.
54. The Well-Gardened Mind: The Restorative Power of Nature - Sue Stuart-Smith (NF)*
-A combination of gardening and brain science
55. A Stranger Came Ashore - Mollie Hunter (F-YA-RA)
56. Becoming Fluent: How Cognitive Science Can Help Adults Learn a Foreign Language - Richard Roberts and Roger Kreuz (NF)
-Disappointing. The book, Fluent Forever does a much better job of this.
57. The Falcon at the Portal - Elizabeth Peters (M)
58. He Shall Thunder in the Sky - Elizabeth Peters (M)
59. The Winged Girl of Knossos - Erick Berry (F-YA-RA)*
-A great family read aloud whether you are studying Ancient Greece or not.
60. The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse - Charlie Mackesy
61. All the Devils are Here - Louise Penny (M)*
-The latest title in the Inspector Gamache series
62. Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics: Teachers' Understanding of Fundamental Mathematics in China and the United States - Liping Ma (NF)*
-If you ever have to teach math to anyone, you should read this.
63. Memory Craft: Improve Your Memory with the Most Powerful Methods in History - Lynne Kelly (NF)*
-This is a fascinating book and so much more interesting than the title would suggest.
64. Play = Learning: How Play Motivates and Enhances Children's Cognitive and Social-Emotional Growth - Singer, Golinkoff, and Hirsch-Paskek, ed. (NF)
65. Right out of California: The 1930's and the Big Business Roots of Modern Conservatism - Kathryn S. Olmsted (NF)*
66. Lord of the Silent - Elizabeth Peters (M)
67. The Children's Homer - Padraic Colum (F-YA-RA)
68. Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World - David Epstein (NF)*
69. The Memory Code: The Secrets of Stonehenge, Easter Island, and Other Ancient Monuments - Lynne Kelly (NF)
70. The Golden One - Elizabeth Peters (M)
71. Theras and His Town - Caroline Dale Snedeker (F-YA-RA)
72. Children of the Storm - Elizabeth Peters (M)
73. Delicious! - Ruth Reichl (F)*
74. The Deeply Formed Life: Five Transformative Values to Root Us in the Way of Jesus - Rich Villodas (NF)
75. The Serpent on the Crown - Elizabeth Peters (F)
76. Lion in the Gateway - Mary Renault (F-YA-RA)
77. Nine Coaches Waiting - Mary Stewart (F)*
-A well-written, escapist story
78. Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading - Nina Sankovitch (NF)
79. Cleopatra's Shadows - Emily Holleman (F)*
- If you are interested in Ptolemaic Egypt, this is a good title
80. The Bookman's Tale - Charlie Lovett (F)*
81. Beginning with a Bash - Phoebe Atwood Taylor (M-RA)
82. A Noel Killing - M. L. Longworth (M)
83. Tomb of the Golden Bird - Elizabeth Peters (M)
84. The Cut Direct - Phoebe Atwood Taylor (M-RA)
85. Midnight Riot - Ben Aaronovitch (F)
86. Gilead - Marilynne Robinson (F)
87. News of the World - Paulette Jiles (F)
88. The Home Place - Carrie La Seur (F)
89. Cold Steal - Phoebe Atwood Taylor (M-RA)
90. The Red Lotus - Chris Bohjalian (M)
91. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon (F)
- I'm still not sure how I feel about this one yet.
Comments