It took longer than I anticipated
If there is one phrase which neatly sums up my life, I think it must be the one in the title. I always come up with these wonderful plans of what I'm going to accomplish in a day, and everything always takes longer than I anticipated. Always.
Take today for example. My plan was to get all the seedlings and seeds planted in the garden. In order to do this, I would also need to weed the worst overgrown of the garden beds. No problem. I could easily do that before lunch, then have all afternoon to plant.
I was correct that I was able to clean out the garden bed by lunch. K. helped out by bringing over three wheelbarrows full of compost. The trouble was that the day ended up including other activities than just working in the garden. At noon, I needed to drive J. to a friend's house so that he could pick up a car that we are borrowing. (Thank you! Thank you!) This is fantastic because we can go back to being a two-car family and J. can actually go into work. So we did that and I headed back out to the garden.
I managed to get all the tomato seedlings into the ground when we had another errand that we had to do. We have a guest room of sorts, but it only has a twin bed in it. This has worked, but then we really haven't had any guests since we moved out here. (This feels odd to me. In the Big Ugly House, we had house guests all the time.) Next weekend is W. and MC's post-Covid wedding celebration and my brother and sister-in-law will be staying with us. This was the impetus that I needed to finally do something about the bed situation. I managed to make a most excellent deal on a new mattress, box spring, and bed with a combination of cash and bartering some EFL sessions. We had to pick the bed up today, so that's what we did.
Eventually I got the near garden planted, but the farther garden is going to have to wait until tomorrow, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I might not be able to the whole thing at once. That will not stop me from assuming I can and being vaguely annoyed that I can't, though.
Some pictures from the day and from around the farm.
The eating apple trees are in bloom as well.
Even the very old cherry has some blossoms. These are some of the last few. There are the remains of a great many cherry blossoms and I must have missed them. This tree hasn't really blossomed much before so I tend not to keep to close an eye on it. It makes me happy to see it showing so much life.
J. got the hydrangea and lupines planted for me. The garden in the front of the house is (very) slowly looking as though someone actually lives here.
The bed that I scored. Now I need to do something to make the room a little more appealing. But having a decent bed in it is a huge start.
And finally the near garden.
Now all I have is this one. That shouldn't take too long, should it? I can totally do this in an afternoon in between driving people places, right?








Comments