Meal Planning - April 6 - April 26
It's that time again. After three weeks of not having to plan meals, I had to do it. Because I have a freezer full of food, I did the backwards-thing again, and planned meals for three more weeks based around what we already had. I know we will have to stock up on a few fresh things, but the entrees' ingredients are already on hand. (I realize that some of the recipes I have already written out on my blog. Where you see an *, I've linked to the recipe.)
Monday, April 6
Stuffed cabbage rolls
I still have some cabbages from my first shopping trip. They need to get eaten.
Cooked carrots
Tuesday, April 7
Hamburgers
We'll grill if the weather cooperates... it's supposed to be warm! I'll also make the hamburger buns.
Garlic potatoes
These are easy. Peel and cube your potatoes, put them in a bowl and coat with olive oil and lots of chopped garlic. Put in greased 9 x 13's. Bake at 425 until they are golden brown. I stir them after every ten minutes until they are done.
Wednesday, April 8
Stuffed spinach pizza*
From scratch. The wholesale order I picked up had a lot of mozzarella, spinach, and crushed tomatoes. Perfect for stuffed spinach pizza.
Salad
Thursday, April 9
Lemon chicken*
A. really wanted this, so offered to make it.
Egg noodles
Salad
Friday, April 10
Good Friday
Garlicky white bean soup*
A simple meal for a fasting day.
Saturday, April 11
Lotus root stir-fry
I have some lotus root in the freezer that I picked up last month. We had this in China because Y. really wanted it. We fell in love, and have it when I come across lotus root.
Rice
Cucumber salad
Sunday, April 12
Easter --- is going to be different this year. No going to church, we'll be watching it on the television. No going to J.'s sister's house for dinner, we'll be having it at home. We don't usually do brunch, but this year seems to lend itself to it.
Brunch
Egg salad sandwiches
Heaven knows we have eggs!
Sausage
Fruit salad
Dinner
This is our usual family dinner for Easter. I just happened to have frozen leg of lamb in my freezer from splitting a lamb with my brother last year.
Leg of lamb
Asparagus
Scalloped potatoes
Pie -- lemon, chocolate, and fruit
Monday, April 13
Chicken noodle soup*
I have frozen chicken bones in the freezer.
French bread
Tuesday, April 14
Baked ham
They were on sale when I went to the store yesterday.
Sauteed green beans
These are some of the beans I blanched and froze last month. We'll see how they do when I saute them.
Stuffing
From a box
Wednesday, April 15
Calzones
Homemade... making more use of the frozen mozzarella and sausage.
Pan-fried broccoli
Also frozen last month. Same question as for the beans.
Thursday, April 16
Split pea soup
This is the whole reason I buy hams, to make split pea soup.
Biscuits
Friday, April 17
Lemon spaghetti
Salad
Garlic bread
Saturday, April 18
Reuben sandwiches
I still have corned beef in my freezer, and D. has offered (okay, more like agreed when I asked) to make more rye bread. His last batch a few weeks ago turned out very tasty.
Cooked carrots
Sunday, April 19
Macaroni and cheese
From scratch
Sauteed spinach
Monday, April 20
Stuffed pepper soup
I haven't made this in a long time so it will feel new. I rediscovered when looking through my collection of recipes.
Oatmeal muffins
I get tired of French bread and biscuits and need a change sometimes.
Tuesday, April 21
Polenta, sausage, and tomato layers
Now that I have figured out the easy way to make polenta, I can make this more. Plus it uses sausage, mozzarella, and pureed tomato.
Salad
Wednesday, April 22
Brazilian black bean soup*
I have pounds of black beans and a lot of eggs. Plus, everyone loves it. I don't know why I don't make it more often.
Side TBD - possibly the little cheese rolls I made when we first had this
Thursday, April 23
Sloppy Joes
With homemade buns
Pasta salad
I'll have to wait and see what we actually have on hand before I decide what the pasta salad will look like.
Friday, April 24
Greens, beans, and fried bread
This is easy and tasty and a meal in one, with ingredients I seem to have a lot of.
Saturday, April 25
Chili
Cornbread
Sunday, April 26
Jerk chicken with coconut rice
This will be a new recipe, but I"m pretty sure I'll be ready for something new in three weeks. Plus, if it is nice, we can grill.
Salad
Monday, April 6
Stuffed cabbage rolls
I still have some cabbages from my first shopping trip. They need to get eaten.
Cooked carrots
Tuesday, April 7
Hamburgers
We'll grill if the weather cooperates... it's supposed to be warm! I'll also make the hamburger buns.
Garlic potatoes
These are easy. Peel and cube your potatoes, put them in a bowl and coat with olive oil and lots of chopped garlic. Put in greased 9 x 13's. Bake at 425 until they are golden brown. I stir them after every ten minutes until they are done.
Wednesday, April 8
Stuffed spinach pizza*
From scratch. The wholesale order I picked up had a lot of mozzarella, spinach, and crushed tomatoes. Perfect for stuffed spinach pizza.
Salad
Thursday, April 9
Lemon chicken*
A. really wanted this, so offered to make it.
Egg noodles
Salad
Friday, April 10
Good Friday
Garlicky white bean soup*
A simple meal for a fasting day.
Saturday, April 11
Lotus root stir-fry
I have some lotus root in the freezer that I picked up last month. We had this in China because Y. really wanted it. We fell in love, and have it when I come across lotus root.
Rice
Cucumber salad
Sunday, April 12
Easter --- is going to be different this year. No going to church, we'll be watching it on the television. No going to J.'s sister's house for dinner, we'll be having it at home. We don't usually do brunch, but this year seems to lend itself to it.
Brunch
Egg salad sandwiches
Heaven knows we have eggs!
Sausage
Fruit salad
Dinner
This is our usual family dinner for Easter. I just happened to have frozen leg of lamb in my freezer from splitting a lamb with my brother last year.
Leg of lamb
Asparagus
Scalloped potatoes
Pie -- lemon, chocolate, and fruit
Monday, April 13
Chicken noodle soup*
I have frozen chicken bones in the freezer.
French bread
Tuesday, April 14
Baked ham
They were on sale when I went to the store yesterday.
Sauteed green beans
These are some of the beans I blanched and froze last month. We'll see how they do when I saute them.
Stuffing
From a box
Wednesday, April 15
Calzones
Homemade... making more use of the frozen mozzarella and sausage.
Pan-fried broccoli
Also frozen last month. Same question as for the beans.
Thursday, April 16
Split pea soup
This is the whole reason I buy hams, to make split pea soup.
Biscuits
Friday, April 17
Lemon spaghetti
Salad
Garlic bread
Saturday, April 18
Reuben sandwiches
I still have corned beef in my freezer, and D. has offered (okay, more like agreed when I asked) to make more rye bread. His last batch a few weeks ago turned out very tasty.
Cooked carrots
Sunday, April 19
Macaroni and cheese
From scratch
Sauteed spinach
Monday, April 20
Stuffed pepper soup
I haven't made this in a long time so it will feel new. I rediscovered when looking through my collection of recipes.
Oatmeal muffins
I get tired of French bread and biscuits and need a change sometimes.
Tuesday, April 21
Polenta, sausage, and tomato layers
Now that I have figured out the easy way to make polenta, I can make this more. Plus it uses sausage, mozzarella, and pureed tomato.
Salad
Wednesday, April 22
Brazilian black bean soup*
I have pounds of black beans and a lot of eggs. Plus, everyone loves it. I don't know why I don't make it more often.
Side TBD - possibly the little cheese rolls I made when we first had this
Thursday, April 23
Sloppy Joes
With homemade buns
Pasta salad
I'll have to wait and see what we actually have on hand before I decide what the pasta salad will look like.
Friday, April 24
Greens, beans, and fried bread
This is easy and tasty and a meal in one, with ingredients I seem to have a lot of.
Saturday, April 25
Chili
Cornbread
Sunday, April 26
Jerk chicken with coconut rice
This will be a new recipe, but I"m pretty sure I'll be ready for something new in three weeks. Plus, if it is nice, we can grill.
Salad
Comments