The tyranny of the to do list

I bet with that title, you're here expecting me to tell you about the evils of keeping to do lists and why you shouldn't. Sorry. I can't do that because currently my to do list is a tyrannical ruler that I must continue to slave away for regardless of the fact that I have developed a raging head cold. I moved my riding lesson to later this week which tells exactly how not fantastic I feel.

We leave in six days. That gives me five days to get everything done that needs to happen in order to leave seven under 18 year old children with three 21+ year old children. (The 21+ group are hardly children; they are all functioning adults. But they are my children so I couldn't come up with a better way to phrase that.) Plus there are the three dogs, four cats, 20 chickens, 11 ducks, 2 geese, and 1 horse to consider as well. Me., D., and J. packing and leaving is actually the easy part.

I am slowly crossing things off my list. Animal supplies were collected today, menus are in the works, and I'm mid-process for all the required paperwork I need to leave behind. I'm actually feeling pretty good about most of it.

And then there are ~360 seedlings that desperately need to get in the ground. Well, at least a lot of them. They are not all going to fit. While some can wait... mainly the flowers... others really need to get planted. That combined with the horrible cold and wet weather we've been having for days on end means you have to plant when the weather is decent whether you actually feel like it or not.

So today, I sat in the sun and very, very slowly started to plant seedlings. M. came and helped a bit and then J. put some more in when he got home from work. So far I have 30 tomatoes, 3 tomatillos, 9 okra, 9 sweet peppers, 7 poblano chilies, 4 anaheim chilies, and 4 cayenne peppers in. There is still so much more to go. (And so many seedlings left over!)

It was frustrating because when I'm feeling well, I could have done so much more. But today, I planted a little, then rested a lot, etc. I really would like to have the rest of the vegetable seedlings in and the vegetable seeds planted before I leave. Starting some of the vegetables at the first of June just seems a bit too late, but who knows if the weather will cooperate.

And now I'm going to climb into bed, think incredibly healthful thoughts, and try to feel better in the morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

The mystery of the missing soap