Friday bullets, Sept. 14, 2018
I haven't done this in a couple of weeks.
- We finished our first full week of school. The week went well. The plan is working, and we have gotten through everything. I'm tired, though. Evidently, it is going to take me a little bit to get back into shape.
- Fridays are usually reserved for our art appreciation/history lesson (we're doing Rembrandt), and for some kind of craft. Today's craft was to make a Japanese abacus called a soroban. It uses base-5 to count, and we'll be using it next week when we make more attempts at counting in base-5. Here are the result.
Some children were more interested in decorating than others. Notice G.'s pirate soroban up on top.
- I'm still volunteering with the therapeutic riding place, and still really enjoying it.
- We collected nearly two dozen eggs today. I need to sell more eggs. We need to eat more eggs. So many eggs!
- Rooster is still mean.
- Aster is getting a little more comfortable, and has a bit more energy. TM will take her on a walk around the loop in the forest preserve, and when she comes back, she is not tired, but still wants to play. She has also grown out of the very smallest harness, and is now in the next size. I'm always amazed at how fast puppies grow.
- I have cut out the third and final cloak. G. has been very patient. Now I just need to find a couple of hours to get it all sewed together for her.
- We need to get TM and D. down to the Secretary of State's office so they can get their driver's permits. I'm not sure I like them old enough to get driving permits. I don't think I like it at all.
- I thought you all might be interested in the current pet and animal totals around here. Right now we have 3 dogs, 3 cats, 1 Bobwhite quail, 1 snake, 2 gerbils, 1 African clawed frog, 1 fire bellied toad, 1 American toad, 21 chickens, 5 ducks, and two tanks of fish that contain many fish, baby fish, snails, and baby snails. Yes, M. is responsible for many of these.
- TM has been fantastic with his puppy. He has been careful about watching her, and taking her out, and being patient with her. I'm very proud of him.
- Our church had a homeschoolers get together this week. I love finding out that we are not the only ones!
- I'm still getting a few things from the exceedingly neglected garden. The tomatoes are still giving a few, though the cooler nights are really slowing them down. I still have chard and green onions that I'm regularly picking. There are beans for drying still out there... drying. I think I'll be able to collect them soon. And, I have three or four cabbages that are looking pretty good. My goal is to get a fermenting crock so I can turn them into homemade sauerkraut.
- I have not canned anything in a couple of weeks. I need to make applesauce. I do not know when this is happening. I also have plans to pick up some late sweet corn and turn that into corn relish. This weekend is crazy, so I honestly do not know when I will be able to do these things.
- This weekend is going to be crazy busy. Good things, but still... I don't really like to leave my house.
And with that, I'm going to leave you. I have a book I need to finish for a book group I joined, and I'm just pooped after a long day. Have a great weekend!


Comments