Time flies

On this day when our local schools all started back, I found some time to sit down and start to plan our school year. One doesn't like to rush into these things, you know. In my head, this year's planning is not going to be terribly time intensive. We are going back to Egypt, and I knew that I had it all planned out when we did it the last time. The last time wasn't all that long ago, so it should be easy. We are also doing a year on writing... the mechanics of writing, creative writing, fiction, non-fiction, poetry. This will take a little longer, but since I have a lot of resources, it is more figuring out order of activities and assigning date.

This is what was all going through my head as I sat down today, pulled out my laptop, and started looking for my schedule for studying Egypt. I wasn't entirely sure of the year, so picked one that seemed reasonable, and opened the file. Nope, that wasn't it. I went back another year. Nope, not that either. I finally had to look on my blog to find the last time I wrote about Egypt to get the year.

It seems that our studying Egypt was a bit longer ago than I had thought. While in my head, it was just a few years ago that we learned about it, in reality the last time we did Egypt was the 2011-2012 school year. G. and L. were two years old. H. wasn't home yet, though would come home mid-year. K. was five, though very much a three year old. And R. and Y. weren't even imagined as a part of our family. I aimed the lessons at D., TM, and P., who were 9, 9, and 11, respectively. It seems ages ago that they were all these ages, but Egypt is still fresh in my head.

We also did lighthouses and the California gold rush that year as well. These also seem pretty fresh. They seem so fresh that I've thought for the past several years that G. and L. must remember them, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. Time is a funny thing.

I finally did find my lesson plans. In looking at them, I'm not sure I can just transfer them to this year's dates. I know for a fact that some of the books didn't make the move, and with a slightly different population of children this time around, I want to change things just a little bit. I am now resigned to completely redoing it all. So much for easy planning this year. Maybe next year when we do Ancient Greece I'll be able to reuse lesson plans.

With the public schools starting, there has been a significant uptick in people asking about homeschooling. Various reasons include children unhappy about returning to school, anxiety about school, parents unhappy with sending their children back to school. I've spent a little bit of time fielding questions about homeschooling and how to do it. With that in mind, I thought it might be helpful if I linked to some of my how-to posts here.

How to Homeschool: a slightly irreverent guide
How to Begin Homeschooling
A Homeschooling Reading List... with annotations
Homeschooling a Newly Adopted Child
The Classical Un-unit Chardorfissori Method
School Philosophy
How I Create a Unit Study

Comments

Angie Butcher said…
I work for an Egyptian import company. We are talking about selling mystery boxes with a variety of cool items. We also have a bunch of resources you might find useful. Let me know what you might like! I’m sure I could get a nice discount. We supply the field museums gift shop. :)
Maria said…
I wanted to thank you for your advice on homeschooling last year. My daughter had a great time with it and got a much needed break from all the drama. She started middle school on Wednesday and is loving it! She's more mature and much more confident. Have you great year with your kiddos!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach