Grosse Point Lighthouse

Since we are studying lighthouses, it was the perfect reason to go and tour the Grosse Point Lighthouse right here in our own city.  But, even though I travel with many children, we were a touch short of the 10-12 people required for a tour.  So we invited some friends... and the friends' mother agreed to watch my under 8's in return.

Here the crew is on the steps of the keeper's house, waiting for the tour.


The history of the lighthouse was interesting, but what everyone really wanted to do was head up into the lighthouse itself.  After an introduction to the lighthouse and a short film, we climbed up the 141 steps to the top. 

A., B., and P. in the area just below the actual light.  The black box houses the some of the gear mechanisms which needed to be wound in order to make the light turn (and consequently flash it's correct pattern).


When we arrived at the top, I had one of those moments of asking myself, "What was I thinking bringing four eight year old boys to the top of a lighthouse?!"  They all did fine, but as you can see from the picture, we were very, very high up in the air.  The small platform we are standing on is very, very small and though you can't really tell, there is no railing on the inside because that is where the Fresnel lens (which we MUST NOT TOUCH) is mounted and is open to the floor below.  And I develop vertigo when I am up high and if I feel a bit dizzy, then surely everyone must feel that way and any moment all the young children I brought up with me are going to plummet to their death and how on earth am I going to explain this to their mother?!?!


These are the children who are laughing at me plastered against the side of the glass as I continually tell the boys ahead of me NOT TO MOVE... JUST STAND THERE!  I was evidently terribly amusing.  I can laugh about it now.  On the ground.  With all the children in one piece.

Here is a picture of the lighthouse, so you can appreciate just how high we were.


Afterwards we spent a few minutes walking around the grounds and on the dunes.



A lovely field trip and we had wonderful views from the top... at least those of us who could relax enough to look out of the windows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach