Yet more canning news

It sounds so good to find some good deals on produce to can and freeze, the trouble is it's only a good deal if you actually do the canning and freezing. Which is what I did today. All day. All day standing in the kitchen chopping vegetables. It is worth it in the end, but I'm beat. 

The totals for today? 
  • 7 pints of sweet pickle relish (canned)
  • 6 cups of frozen green pepper strips
  • 20 cups of frozen mixed color bell pepper strips
  • 4 dehydrator trays of bell peppers (they're still dehydrating so I don't know how many cups)
  • Two dinner's worth of frozen sliced okra (to be fried)
  • 5 pounds of ground cornmeal - we had run out and I needed it for the okra so needed to grind more
I still need to prep and freeze the extra lemongrass that I bought yesterday. Plus there are still cucumbers which I need to turn into bread and butter pickles. I'm also guessing there will be enough cucumbers to make a couple jars of dill pickles. I'm hoping I'll be done with it all by the end of the weekend. 

I'm the meantime G. and I were having to navigate each other. We were in desperate need of bread so G. made six loaves as well as making the lemongrass chicken we had for dinner tonight because it's the mid-autumn moon festival. You know that holiday which sent me to the store for mooncakes which started this whole kitchen bonanza. 

So about those mooncakes. I looked very carefully at each box because many of my children really like the red bean paste ones while I prefer the pineapple. I was thrilled to find a box which has both. After dinner, L. sliced them in half so we knew which was which. The first was pineapple, then the second was pineapple, and the third was pineapple. There were supposed to be three of each of the four flavors, so we laughed that L. had randomly selected all the pineapple. Then the fourth was pineapple, and the fifth, and then all 12 turned out to be pineapple. I'm not sure what went wrong with the packaging. But even those who wanted red bean paste like the pineapple ones, so it turned out okay. 

The only thing we were missing was the moon because we've been overcast for several days and it doesn't look as though that will change any time soon. I'm also not sure the blog content will change any time soon, either. If the state of the country could stop being so dire, your odds of actually interesting content would improve. 

Pictures of the homemade bread to make it a little more interesting. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

The mystery of the missing soap