Books to read because you should
I'm in the middle of reading Jesus and John Wayne by Kristin Kobes Du Mex. Yes, I know I am very late to the party on this one. I hadn't felt up to it. Last week I listened to an interview with Du Mex about her new book, Live Laugh Love: the secret history of white Christian women and the world they made. I will be reading this one; it's currently on my hold list at the library. The interview seemed to make it seem as though the second book builds on the first, so I figured it was time to finally read it.
It is as hard and disappointing and infuriating as I expected it to be. Sadly, it is also completely unsurprising. I really just need to plow through it and be done with it. With that ringing endorsement, I do encourage you to read it, especially if you are (or were) a Christian and have found yourself being completely mystified as to how so many people who are supposed to believe in love, goodness, and mercy have so completely lost the plot. It will answer a lot of those questions.
I would also strongly suggest reading Right out of California: the 1930's and the Big Business Roots of Modern Conservatism by Kathryn S. Olmsted. This explains the other half of the conservative puzzle. I read this several years ago and it has stuck with me. I'll warn you, though, that if you really like John Steinbeck, there are parts of this that might prove a little challenging.
Since our hand basket seems to be in a downward free fall, let me offer a little reminder. There are still wonderful and beautiful things in our world, don't let the people who want to fill you with fear and hate win. Look for the beauty. Look for the wonder. Revel in it. And remember the story, our story, is far from over. Kindness and love can be powerful forces for good.
In that spirit, here is what I've noticed today.
The goldenrod is blooming and it's gorgeous.
The spiders are busy this time of year. There are a couple of large ones in the barn that spin the most amazing webs. I'm a little fascinated with them. (And no I'm not going to kill them. They aren't hurting anyone and they are catching many flies. Did you never read Be Kind to Spiders as a child?)
Lastly, I love standing out in the yard towards dusk at this time of year and watch the dragonflies... dozens and dozens of dragonflies... zip around as they hunt mosquitos. If you stand still enough long enough, they will begin to zip around you as well. It is very, very cool. And absolutely impossible to get a video of.


Comments