Weekly update - August 28, 26
This might be a bit braggy in terms of my children this week. Consider yourselves warned.
- But before the bragging, I want to give you a Vienna update. We have her insulin under control but her feet are still bothering her. The farrier thinks it's because the soles of her hooves are very thin so any amount of inflammation (from weather or whatever) is going to make her uncomfortable. She recommended getting Vienna boots to cushion the bottoms of her feet. You probably haven't priced horse boots, but let's just say they aren't inexpensive. But I want Vienna to be comfortable, so I purchased the most expensive set of footwear I have ever bought. The boots arrived today and I admit to holding my breath a little when I tried them on her to see if they fit. They did!
And here's a closer picture of them.
She wasn't sure at first, but within the first ten minutes of wearing them, she was moving more than I have seen her move in a long time. The boots need to be broken in, so the manufacturer suggests wearing them for just a short time the first couple of days and then gradually increasing the amount of wearing time. That's what I did, but when I went to go take them off I was confronted by a very sassy and active pony who did not want me messing with her boots. I haven't seen her trot in weeks and suddenly she is zipping around the dry lot.
Cost of new boots? $$$$
Seeing my pony move pain free again? Priceless
- G. has started volunteering in the cat area of a local animal shelter and is absolutely loving it. Tonight I was informed that volunteers get fifty percent off adoption fees. I said what I always say that four cats is more than enough.
- D. is starting to settle in at school. He passed his entrance exams with flying colors, has been assigned a really interesting class to TA for, and just today found out he got his first choice in labs for his lab rotation. We are thrilled for him.
- The apples on the apple trees are ripe. This means I need to plan a day (or two) to do something with them. Preferably this will be a day when I have many helpers at home.
- Y. is volunteering at a local library where she is DM-ing for their D&D night.
- L. is taking Ceramics 2 at school this semester. Here is one of her latest bowls. I really like it.
- P. told us this evening that she was rated first among all the one and two stripe deck hands at the tour boat company where she works. This does not surprise me at all.
- K. has made a big change in that he has moved in with TM and JH. He'll be paying them rent and helping out with their dogs plus getting to experience a bit more independence. He is very excited about the change. He still sends me photos that he takes, though. (Yay!)
- L. is starting to work on college applications.
- L. also continues to use her telescope to start gaze. Here are a couple of pictures she took last night.
Those are all stars
- H. has been spending a lot of time recently working on a couple of things. One is a diamond dot picture which she recently completed.
- And R.? She is happy and stable, doing the things that bring her pleasure... drawing and coloring, being outside and watching the animals, doing puzzles, and playing one of the handful of activities that interest her.









Comments