This is going to hurt
Those were the exact words that flashed across my mind right in between grabbing onto a ladder in the barn at the exact spot a wasp had been resting and the extreme pain from its sting on being grabbed. I was right. It did hurt very much. But, I finished up with the last few barn chores because a storm was coming and I needed to get everything set in order to get the horses under cover.
The intense pain had dulled somewhat by the time I made my way back to the house. I put some baking soda paste on it and are my breakfast. Somewhere between finishing the New York Times puzzles and finishing my coffee, I became aware of my finger swelling. That alone would be unpleasant, but did I mention which finger the wasp stung? That would be my ring finger, the one with the already slightly too small wedding ring on it. I hurriedly took an antihistamine, but based on the fact I could now feel my pulse in my finger it seemed it wouldn't be able to work fast enough if it was going to do anything.
So I did what any sane and rational person would do in the same situation... I called J. who was thirty minutes away at work. We discussed options, such as going to an urgent care to have it cut off. I wasn't thrilled with that prospect because it was going to take time and the finger was already pretty uncomfortable. Maybe I could cut it off myself. H. has jewelry making supplies that were a Christmas gift. I was pretty sure a very small pair of wire cutters was among them. When asked, H. was immediately able to bring it to me.
Thankfully, my wedding ring is very thin so I was able to clip it with the small jewelry tool. The relief was immediate, but I still needed to get the ring off. I managed, but this was probably the most painful part of the process as I worked the ring with it's very sharp edges off my fingers.
The blood is from the cut edges on the ring.
At some point we'll take the ring in to be repaired. Needing to have it realized was on my perpetual to do list because it made me nervous not to be able to take it off. Step one done I guess.
This post also means that you didn't have to read about A Tale of Two Cities tonight. I finished it yesterday and I have significant book hangover from it. I need to process, so that's something for you to look forward to.


Comments