One of the joys of summer

What do you do when you have leftover French bread, some decent tomatoes on the counter, and you just brought in a bunch of sweet basil from the garden? You make copious amounts of bruschetta to go along with dinner. We made so much that everyone could eat their fill and still have some leftover. This rarely happens. More often, everyone gets a couple and there is bargaining with others to get more. 

If you haven't made it before, I'll share how I do it. It hardly counts as a recipe. You do need good tomatoes and fresh basil on hand because I don't think it's worth the effort otherwise. 

Bruschetta 

  • Chop a tomato into a small dice and put them in a bowl. (One large tomato made at least 24 bruschetta for us.) 
  • Cut your basil leaves into slivers and add to the tomatoes. (I can't tell you how much because I didn't measure. I just kept slicing and stirring it into the tomatoes until it looked like the right amount.)
  • Add two chopped garlic cloves, or go the easy route like I did and add ~ 2 teaspoons of preminced garlic.
  • Add some salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. (No, I didn't measure these, either.)
  • Set aside to sit for a while.
While your mixture sits, heat your oven to 400°. Slice the French bread into circles and brush olive oil on both sides of each slice of bread. Put them on a baking sheet and toast until golden. You may want to turn them over halfway through, that's what we did. 

Right before serving, spoon the tomato mixture on each of the toast. Try to strain off any excess liquid as you do this. 

Enjoy!

And no, I didn't take a picture. You can imagine a  couple dozen pretty bruschetta on a tray as if I actually thought about how the food was displayed as a routine. I don't, but this is how we took them to the table at dinner. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

The mystery of the missing soap