Not the target audience again
I'm in the middle of a book called, "The Renaissance Soul: How to make your passions your life" by Margaret Lobenstine. I had randomly come across the title and was curious. Here are a few questions from the opening quiz:
"Are you capable of becoming passionately excited about a wide variety of subjects?
Do you have a hard time choosing between one interest and another?
Do you find yourself interrupting yourself, dropping one task to pick up another before it's done?
When you really understand how something works, or master a new activity, do you feel bored and ready to try something new?" (p. 16)
It probably won't surprise you that I answered yes to nearly all the questions on the quiz. I felt for once as though I was actually someone's target audience. It was an unusual experience.
Until I realized I am not really the target audience. This is because this book is aimed at people who haven't figured out that it is okay to have a myriad of interests and how to navigate this. I've been aware of how I'm wired since childhood and have had a lot of time to figure out how I best function. While this book has some interesting bits, I have yet to read something that changes how I go through life. I'm also not sure I love the term "Renaissance Soul." I'm not sure why, it just grates on me a bit. I much prefer the term I usually use, which is autodidactic. Self-learner feels like a better fit.
So there ends a post about almost nothing. I'm not going to complain that life is calm and uneventful. I prefer that. It does not make for terribly interesting blog posts, though.
Comments