Johnson and Boswell

I often like to listen to podcasts while I clean the barn in the morning. It's great when I have something I'm interested in, it's frustrating when I need to find something new. The trouble is that I seem to have very narrow parameters as to what I can stand to listen to. I've lost track of the number of podcasts that I have given up on. Usually this is due to one or more factors: they're too formulaic, low production values, hosts who are annoying (ie too impressed with themselves, multiple hosts having conversations as though no one else was listening, etc.), or bad storytelling. I'm pretty picky discerning about what I spend my time listening to. 

Thus it is no small thing when I find a podcast where I want to listen to all the back episodes. My new favorite? And the Rest is History. I know I'm very late to the party for this as it's been around a very long time and has a huge following, but maybe you're like me and have been unaware of it. I'm very excited to have so many back episodes to work my way through. 

For some reason I cannot explain I chose a four part episode dealing with Samuel Johnson the James Boswell to begin with. I loved the whole thing. It doesn't sound as though it would be particularly riveting subject matter, but it was. It was so interesting I'm seriously considering reading Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, a book up untill this point I had absolutely no interest in. The hosts are such good storytellers that you can't help but be interested. 

Next I think I'm going to move on to their multi part series on Lord Admiral Nelson. I've come across him in several books recently and realize that I don't know all that much about him or that particular time in history and I want to fill in the gaps. I like filling in gaps; it's very satisfying. 

So if you listen to podcasts, have even a passing interest in history, and haven't listened to this podcast yet, I suggest you give it a shot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

The mystery of the missing soap