Sunday on the farm with sheep
This afternoon we headed over to Kline Creek Farm, a living history farm near us, because I saw that they were sheering their sheep today. I've seen sheep sheared before, but with electric clippers. Because this is a living history farm, they sheer their sheep with long blade scissors.
It was still a little snowy from the storm that passed through the other day, but only about 33°, so not uncomfortable. Not uncomfortable if you wore the correct clothing. If you chose to wear a tank top and sweatshirt, then you might have been a little uncomfortable. Walking through woods in the winter is one of my favorite things.
But we were there for sheep, so that's where we headed. The farm has Cotswold sheep.
One of these sheep has been sheared and the other was waiting her turn. I don't know why they're facing into the corner.
The sheep are put into a series of holds that allows the shearer to remove the fleece in one piece but also keeps the sheep calm during the process.
I think everyone should be very impressed that I left without purchasing a fleece. Of course I do have several pounds of clean Cotswold fleece sitting in my studio waiting for me to do something with it, so that might have played a part in our fleece-less departure.
I would have happily stayed to watch more sheep being sheared, but the masses didn't seem to find it quite as fascinating as I did.





Comments