The Not-Not-Back-to-School Day
Did you notice the double negative in the title? Usually the day after Labor Day is our day to head off to a museum relishing both the empty spaces and the freedom to set our own schedule. Today? G. woke up feeling miserable and it didn't seem kind or wise to drag a sick child to a museum, tradition or not. So for the first time ever, we actually did school on the day after Labor Day.
Well, it was a very light day of school, which is what we would have done tomorrow. I call it syllabus day. I passed out schedules and books. We cleaned out bags. I went through how the school year was going to look and how our individual mornings will go, and I walked them through the work they would be expected to do on their own. Because now that G. and L. are in high school (!), I start the process of turning their education over to them. Oh, and they got their propaganda notebooks all set up and ready to begin documenting the different types of advertising and speech they come across during the year.
Everyone seemed okay with what is going to be expected of them. I think most of them are kind of intrigued by the challenge. And considering the amount of loose ends that were happening around here for the past couple of weeks, having something they have to do is seen as rather a relief.
G. seems significantly better, so tomorrow we'll do our not back to school trip.
Comments