Book adaptations

A trailer for the new television show called Three Pines has been released. For the Louise Penny fans here, you know immediately what Three Pines refers to. If you have not had the opportunity to read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache books, you do not. Three Pines is the (sadly) fictional town where many of the books of the series takes place. I adore these books... the characters, the stories, and yes, the town of Three Pines. This is also why I won't be watching the TV series.

Anne of the Green Gables is one of my favorite books of all time. I have lost track of how many times I have read it. Yet, I have never watched any of the adaptations for the screen that have been made. There is no way that the creators of these adaptations could ever recreate exactly how I picture the book in my head. If I were to watch them, then my own creation will be replaced by something else. I am unwilling to let that happen. 

Some books, while I enjoyed them, I'm okay with also seeing a screen version. Harry Potter definitely fits in this category, as would Jane Austen's books. Jane Eyre I would have to seriously think about. If a movie is ever made of A Gentleman in Moscow, I won't be seeing it. And the Inspector Gamache books definitely fall in the 'never seeing it' category. I did watch the trailer (with the sound off), and it was more than enough to convince me that this is not for me. I'll keep my own versions of Inspector Gamache and Ruth and Reine-Marie and all the rest firmly in my head. 

I'm curious. How do you feel about screen adaptations of books you have read? Yes, no, or it depends? 

Comments

papa smurf said…
nope.

but i do love movie BFG and i just found the book in a book sale. we shall see. usually don't do that order.
Britta said…
I love the 1995 BBC adaption of Pride and Prejudice. For the rest I have stopped watching movies/series of books I love quite a few years ago.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach