Happy Birthday to Me
Today I turned 56 years old. When I was younger I used to think that this (and all ages beginning with a '5' or higher) was really rather ancient. I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to be that old. The funny thing is, for the most part, I don't feel any different than I did when I was younger and wondering. I am often surprised by how many years old I actually am. While I know a lot more things and have had a lot more experiences, I am still that 'me' inside. This is one of those realizations that come with age, isn't it? That we are still who we are regardless of our age, and that it is still a surprise that we are as old as we actually are. I guess I am totally not bothered by how old am I because it doesn't seem to have any bearing on how I feel.
There have been some interesting brain studies done (because you know I'll find a way to work in weird brain facts whenever I can) with regard to aging and cognition. Essentially they all seem to point to the fact that if a person assumes they are younger than they are, they begin to act younger, too. This is especially true with cognition. There have also been other studies done that seem to show that memory loss with aging is actually culturally determined. Cultures where age-related memory issues are assumed to be part of getting old have an older population with memory deficits. Those cultures who do not assume aging comes with memory loss have an older population who test as well as younger adults on memory tests. Interesting, huh? It certainly gives one something to think about.
I had a lovely day. It was beautiful and I had nothing planned except to give a riding lesson. So I played with horses, I did a lot of weaving, I visited with a friend, and I did not cook dinner (J. grilled hamburgers). If there had been another couple of hours that I could have sat outside and read a book it would have been just about perfect. I'll add in the book reading after I post this, though I won't be outside.
With five more birthdays to come late this month, I think we'll do one big family birthday party to celebrate them all at once with everyone. Those who are still at home with get their birthday dinners as usual. June is kind of an exhausting month.
So now I'm off to read and tomorrow I'll deal with all the desk work that I didn't do today because it didn't seem very birthday-ish. (And thank you to everyone who offered birthday wishes. It's always fun to see them throughout the day.)
Comments