Friday bullets - June 10, 2022
I feel as though it has taken me all week to get caught up from being away. Actually, I'm still not caught up with the laundry, but since that is a constant thing, I'm not worrying about it. I think now things are pretty much back under control.
- Our big news from today is that we had three new ducks join the family. They are three drakes (so boys), are three months old, and are Pekins. Want to see?
They're huge! And by huge I mean they are just about the same size as the geese. If when the new chickens came I was shocked that they were so small, then this was the same feeling except I was shocked they were so large. They are also currently terrified of everything and spent much of the day huddled together in a corner of the pen. We think one of the black ducks is amused by running at them and watching them scamper away. I know they will settle in, but it's going to take a few days.
- Yesterday we took an impromptu field trip to our favorite forest preserve because I discovered that our co-op was having a play date. It was a lovely day for it.
This is the backs of people as they are walking down to the creek to meet everyone.
- All of my growing children are growing out of clothes and some have taken to writing me notes about what all they need. There were a lot of area garage sales going on today so I took a couple of them with me and did some shopping. We had some success, but there are still items on the list(s) that need purchasing.
- The horses all had their annual check-ups earlier in the week. They are all doing well, but since they all needed to have their teeth taken care of, I'm still reeling a little bit from the bill.
- If you didn't catch it on Facebook, the picture that was taken of us at the Rising Lights Project gala is one that I actually like. (This really doesn't happen very often.)
- I seem to be incapable of judging how much food to make these days. I have consistently made far too much food. You would think with the number of teens I have in the house that this wouldn't be the case, but except for K., none of them are huge eaters. Cooking just one pound of pasta, though, really doesn't seem as though it should be enough. I can't think the last time I cooked less than two pounds as a matter of course.
- Since I spent my week in Arizona watching far more television than I normally do, I have to say, Arizona, your political candidates are insane! The fear-mongering is truly breathtaking. An invasion coming over the southern border? Really? You mean invasion like Russia invading Ukraine invasion (because that's what the word means)? I hardly think so. And before anyone starts in on me about this, remember we hosted one of those 'invaders' in our home for 18 months. Anyway, do the rest of the country a favor and do not vote for these lunatics.
- In fairness, our own political candidates of a certain party may also be insane, but since I don't watch television here I am able to skip hours of horrendous political adds. (I'm also able to skip the pharmaceutical commercials which is a whole 'nother thing.) Do you have any idea how pleasant it is to not have to watch any of those things?
- My semi-annual bulk order is in. Bizarrely, I can take our little, tiny car to go pick it up. It is yet one more way I am made aware that our children are growing up and going out on their own.
- Finally, if you are in the area and looking for something to do tomorrow, head over to Fine Line Arts Center which is participating in the Fox River Arts Ramble. There will be food, music, an art fair, and art demonstrations. It looks as though it is going to be a lot of fun. And if you do attend, stop in the weaving center and say hi. I'll be the floor loom weaving demonstrator.



Comments