Responses to letters

Last weekend I shared the letter I wrote to the Midwest Horse Fair regarding the rather egregious merchandise some of the vendors had for sale. I'll be honest that I didn't expect much of a response. This is from years of experience writing letters pointing out how something could be made better and why the current system is wrong. [If you click on that link, it will take you to a letter I wrote to the Morton Arboretum, in regard to their family policy. It seems I got the specifics of my request granted in that they did remove the word 'family' from their membership levels. I was hoping they would go more for the spirit, though, and allow all children under 18 to be part of a larger member. Ah well.] More often than not I never receive a reply and when I do, it is one of those "We're sorry you're upset" non-apologies. 

Imagine my surprise when earlier this week I did receive a reply from the horse fair. And not only did I receive a reply, it was a thoughtful and apologetic response. The short story is that they will create vendor guidelines so that merchandise is in keeping with the horse fair's mission. I would be thrilled if that was the only response, but there was more. The horse fair is very interested in embracing the diversity of the horse world and asked if I had suggestions as to who they could invite to speak along those lines. After a query on an equine diversity and inclusion group, I had a long list of potential speakers that I was able to pass on to the horse fair. 

How awesome is that? 

I love the horse fair and now I can love it a little bit more. I suppose this is also a lesson that sometimes speaking up really does make a difference. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
That was a great letter you wrote to the Morton Arboretum. And really good pictures of the kids!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach