Some day I'll get to the horse fair when it isn't super cold and precipitating

Friday J. and I took everyone to the Midwest Horse Fair up in Madison, Wisconsin for the day. The fair had been cancelled for the past two years due to Covid, so it was very exciting to be able to go again. I love the fair. First, there are just lots and lots of horses and lots and lots of people who are excited about talking about horses. There are clinics and other sessions where you can learn more about a wide variety of horse topics. There is a vendor market where you can buy horse-related items. It's awesome. 

Well, I think it's awesome as do some of my children. While I wouldn't go so far as to say that some people had a miserable time, I think I'm pretty safe is saying that not everyone will desire to go back next year. The weather didn't help. On Friday it was rainy (sometimes extremely rainy) and very cold. While it didn't actually snow (like it did the last time I was there), it sure felt as though it was possible. Weather like that makes looking around the outside venues not so fun nor is walking between buildings. I have to say that despite the rotten weather, everyone remained pretty darn cheerful and pleasant.

I got to attend a couple of really useful sessions and R. just liked seeing the horses. Of course, for R., the more bedazzled the horse and rider's outfit, the better she liked it. We even saw a Shetland stallion where we all said, "Vienna!" at the same time because they looked so much alike. Well, except for the weight. This pony was svelte while Vienna... is not. She's more like a pony sofa. Other than that, they looked eerily similar.

Next year I would love to stay over night so I could attend multiple days. There were sessions on Saturday and Sunday that I would have liked to have attended. I have the dates, and they'll be going on my calendar. 

Other than buying food, we were remarkably restrained as far as purchases. I needed a new pair of riding gloves, so found those, but there wasn't really anything else we needed at the moment. All of our needs tend towards bigger, more expensive, and the type of thing you can't just purchase at a booth... electricity out to the barn, bigger dry lot, indoor arena... 

The only down side was actually the vendor hall. Well, some of the booths in the vendor hall. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I will be writing a letter to the fair. Here is a copy.

"To Whom it May Concern,

My family was excited to be able to return to the Midwest Horse Fair this year. It was one of the things we very much missed as a result of Covid. Even the awful weather on Friday couldn't dampen our enjoyment of all of the things we love about the fair. We appreciated all of your time and effort to make it happen.

What did dampen our enthusiasm wasn't weather related, but things we saw in the vendor hall. In the Executive Director's welcome letter in the fair program, she writes, ' ... in these times of unknowns, in these times of divide and disagreement - let's come together, more than ever before. Let's support each other in the horse community. Let's embrace every difference and let them shine... ' This is a lovely sentiment, especially after two years of extreme political and social divides in our country. I have to say, though, the actual importance that the horse fair puts on these ideals seems to be rather low.

More than one vendor in the vendor hall was selling t-shirts which read 'Let's Go Brandon'. By allowing this type of merchandise at the horse fair, I find it difficult to believe that the advisory board actually believes that we need to come together as never before in this time of divide and disagreement. Instead, it felt like a slap in the face of anyone who might hold different political views. It's not very welcoming. But let's go a bit farther, shall we? The director wants to embrace every difference. By allowing t-shirts that some see as racist dog whistles to be sold, it seems that there are actually some differences that aren't actually welcome. Some of my children are people of color. I realize the horse world is pretty monochromatic, but if encouraging diversity and making equine sports more equitable is a goal, this is not the way to go about it. This t-shirt slogan screams you are not welcome here if you are not of one particular political party or of one particular race. Seeing these t-shirts in multiple places did not make my family feel welcome. 

Is this really who you want to be? Horses have something to offer everyone regardless of their political party or race. And there are equestrians of color who do have something to offer the rest of us. Sessions on equity would be a start. But you can't try to create a wider umbrella if at the same time in other places you are going to allow items to be sold which scream that some people aren't welcome. There are plenty of places where, if people so desire, items with this slogan can be purchased. The horse fair shouldn't be one of those places.

Thank you for your time."

Once again, I feel the need to make mention about commenting here. I find the phrase I referenced to be fairly egregious on several levels. Please don't try to defend it. I'd actually much rather you say the phrase it stands for because then at least you're being honest. There is nothing cute or funny about this little 'slogan'. It is frankly offensive and more importantly, the ideas and values that fuel it are even more offensive. Just in case you wondered where I stood.

Comments

Donna said…
There are differences that should be embraced, and then there are differences that should be set aside for a different venue out of respect for each other and in the spirit of community. Thank you for speaking up.
Unknown said…
Well done on writing you letter and expressing your concerns. Our family had a similar situation at a marching band festival in the fall. The numerous shirts depicting a certain former President calling people names, while holding the Bible was extremely concerning. I also wrote a letter to the festival organizers though I got no response. This makes me question whether or not my children will participate next year. Thank you for sending your letter. Maybe is more of us do so the temperature of these events will change a bit.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach