A geology-ish art project
Earlier this week in geology we learned about rivers and running water. Because the idea of oxbows was discussed, I added in a little art history segment about "The Oxbow" by Thomas Cole. Today I had everyone make their own oxbow painting.
Here is everyone hard at work. It was very pleasant in that no one got overly frustrated, though I had prepared them ahead of time and also had extra canvas boards on hand for emergencies.
Y.'s
R.'s
L.'s
G.'s
K,'s
H.'s
I love them all. I love that they are each so very different. A few words about R.'s. I drew a pencil sketch for her and helped her choose the color for each part. She did the painting for each color. What made me most hopeful about R.'s painting (beside the fact that she participated and was successful) was that when she had finished with each part... the river, the trees, the grass... she stopped. In the past, there has been no stopping. Once she has markers or paint or scissors in her hand, she will do the task but then continue to mindlessly continue that task over and over and over and over. There was an awareness that each task had a purpose and an end. Also, she was careful with her paintbrush and used it appropriately rather than smooshing it down and grinding the wooden handle into the paper. She needed help to do the project, but it was fairly minimal help. I love seeing progress show up like that.
Comments
I love the castle with its natural moat; that belongs in a story book.
The island shows deep understanding; the oxbow lake rejoined the river during a flood and now an island is born.
Happy new year!
colin