Meal Planning - January 27 - February 2, 2020

I found something new that might help with meal planning. It is a website called, Eat Your Books, which allows you to download the titles of cookbooks you own onto a virtual bookshelf, and then it has a search engine which will sort through the recipes for those books. It's kind of like installing a search engine on your bookshelf. I think it is kind of genius, so signed up. It's not very much per month, so I'm going to try it out for a couple of months to see if it is really useful. The downside is that not every cookbook is digitized, so with a collection such as mine, with a very eclectic group of (often older) books, it is not going to be able to search through all of them. The recipes are not housed on the website, instead, when you find a recipe you want to use, you go and find it in your actual cookbook. We'll see how useful it ends up being.

Monday

Baked salmon
     I love salmon, but it is so expensive, we rarely have it. I found some frozen salmon marked pretty low at Aldi, so scooped it up. I've been looking forward to it ever since I put it in the freezer.
Shredded Brussels sprouts with bacon
     With the French bread going in the over first, then cooling while the salmon bakes, I had to find a vegetable I could do on the stove, so I'm trying this one.
French bread
     Homemade

Tuesday

Braised chicken legs with tomatoes, onions, and garlic
     I had two large packages of chicken legs in the freezer, so this is one success story for the website. I typed in 'chicken legs', and I discovered that my newest cookbook has this recipe in it.
Mashed potatoes
     Do I need to say these are not from a box?
Salad

Wednesday

Chicken Paprikash
     This is an easy crockpot meal that everyone loves, but because it is pretty much a dump chicken and soup kind of recipe, it sort of feels like cheating.
Egg noodles
Sauteed green beans
     Everyone prefers their green beans sauteed with some chopped onion in olive oil, so that's what I do these days.

Thursday

Mexican Beef Stew
     This is a new recipe, from my most recent Mexican food cookbook.
Warm flour tortillas
     These will come out of a package.

Friday

Lemongrass beef on rice noodles
     This is a Vietnamese dish that I've made before, but a very long time ago. I'm still in the use-the-meat-from-the-freezer mode which is why I chose it. Plus, I have some frozen lemongrass from the last time I bought a bunch.
Steamed dumplings
     Bought on sale at Aldi

Saturday

Tortellini
     J. and I will be going out to his sister's for dinner, so children are cooking for themselves. These tortellini are from the sale where I stocked up a couple of weeks ago.
Garlic Bread

Sunday

Tagine with meatballs and spiced apricots
     This is the other win from the new website, this time typing in 'ground beef'. This is from a novel that has recipes in it, which, remarkably, had been digitized so was included in the search.
Couscous
     I try to keep couscous on hand in the pantry.

Comments

established1981 said…
Come visit me and I'll feed you fresh salmon 🤣
shambeda said…
I read your post in the morning and it must have stuck with me. I debated buying salmon at Aldi but instead bought Brussel sprouts and googled for a recipe for shredded sprouts. They were pretty yummy and I think I will make them again.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach