Flourishing

<<But then this is the part that I just loved. Not only did it [doing some sort of tangible, creative activity] cause students to flourish, but they noticed an upward spiral where creativity led to positive feelings that were then carried forward to the next day's pursuits and continued. So they linked it to being able to be more engaged in learning in the classroom. And this was a study done by Tamlyn Connor and Colin DeYoung and Paul Silvia called Everyday Creativity as a Path to Flourishing, which I think was the other thing that really needs to be highlighted and then I'll stop. Flourishing, like it's not just to make you feel better, but to make you flourish, which to me is what helps students to really do well in school because now they're in a very positive spiral.>> (from The Sheepspot Podcast, episode 110)

This little bit of conversation caught my attention this morning as I was cleaning the barn. I'm always interested in the intersection between mental health and creativity, so this episode was right up my alley, but because I research this area quite a bit, I'm at a point where I don't expect to hear something new. It was the word "flourish" which did it.

How often do we hear about people flourishing these days? Our new low bar for general functioning seems to be 'not miserable'. It doesn't say a whole lot positive about our society. Yet here was a study which indicated that participants were flourishing... being in a positive spiral. What was different about this group? Creating something with their hands on a daily basis. It's not something complicated or expensive or available only to a small group of people. The quality of the creation didn't matter. It was the act of working and making. This is definitely a process over product thing. 

I'm now going to get on one of my favorite hobby horses. Does anyone think it's surprising that as education and work has gone increasingly digital that the rise in depression, anxiety, and a general downward spiral of well-being has occurred, especially in young people whose brains are still developing? I would bet a significant amount of money that in this case it is causation and not just correlation. 

If you or your children are struggling, do something with your hands. Draw, paint, garden, knit, make pottery, weave, cook, do woodworking, anything that requires physical objects and creativity. Do this every day, even if it is just for a little bit. Don't let a virtual world substitute for physical learning and creating. Move into a mode of life that will help you to flourish and not just survive. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

What a day, what a day...

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway