Why?

I'm truly trying to understand here because it makes absolutely no sense to me. Why, why, why do otherwise decent people continue to support the radical right when they do things such as create ugly, horrendous memes mocking a disabled child's obvious love and care for his father? Why do you tacitly sit there and not speak out? To be silent is to tacitly agree that this is acceptable behavior. I know I have friends who support the former president. (Whether you read this blog, though, is another question.) But if you do, why? Why is this okay with you? Why are you not as irate and heartbroken to read the vile things said about a good man and his child? How do you make sense of this? 

This has been the question that plagues me. I know some of you personally. You wouldn't stand by if someone was doing this to a child you know. Why does the fact that he has a father who belongs to a different political party change that for you? 

And another question for my Christian friends who support the former president. How do you justify the level of hate and fear continually spewed at every chance when the Bible is explicitly clear on two points... 1. Do not fear, and 2. Love your enemies? 

I cannot make it make sense. Some ground rules. I'll tolerate thoughtful discussion in the comments, but will fact check every statement and will delete any claims that are probably untrue. I will not tolerate name calling or personal attacks. We used to be a civilized country where disagreement was not an excuse for uncouth behavior. I don't think that can be an assumption anymore. And are you okay with that? 

Because I don't get it. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am not from your country but mine is not much different and I don't have an answer for you. I'm reading a book at the moment called "The Kingdom, The Power and the Glory" by Tim Alberta and it's slow going. Usually I can finish a book in a day but this one makes my heart hurt so I have to put it down after 10-15 pages and go and read some light-hearted fiction. Thank goodness for Richard Osman. So far all I've learned from Tim is that sometimes evangelicals love America so much that it blinds them to its shortcomings. And there are a lot of pastors who hate their jobs right now because if you don't preach America, people will leave your church. I have about 500 or so pages to go. Maybe answers and understanding will come and my very obvious bias against the right wing and those who support them will turn into compassion.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

What a day, what a day...

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway