Fiber Monday - Eek!

So this happened today.


Yes, I cut into my handwoven fabric. I finished the dress last Friday, but spend the weekend finishing up odds and ends and cutting out patterns that I need to make for children for the wedding. But I realized that while that task was useful, it was really a delaying tactic to avoid cutting out The Dress. 

So today I decided that I must had to do it. One of the questions lingering on the back of my mind was if I would have enough fabric. I spent a lot of time laying out pattern pieces to see how it will work. The good news is that I will be able to get all the pieces cut out. The bad news is that I'm going to need to spend some time forcing to have big enough pieces to get the two back sided panels. This isn't the end of the world, and I always knew it was a possibility because my yardage isn't quite 25 inches. It must adds a bit more fiddly work before I can sew it all together. My goal for tomorrow is to piece the fabric, cut out the last two pieces of The Dress, and cut out the facings and strips to make the bias tape to finish the seams. What else is there to do on a day when it's going to feel over one hundred degrees? My goal is to have everything ready so I can actually construct The Dress this weekend. 

I suppose I should mention that I finished the practice dress and it fits very well. I will end up with two new dresses out of all of this. 

Because I still have a bit of sewing to do after I finish The Dress. I'll be making H. a dress:


And L. a vest like G.'s:


The outside of the fabric is the plum color you can see just a little bit of and the lining is the fabric on top. All the fabric is from my stash. 

This weekend is going to look like a sweatshop around here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

What a day, what a day...

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway