Pony update

It's been a while since I updated my readers about the ponies. Vienna continues to do really well. The farrier was here last Monday and Vienna's feet look like normal hooves again. It is so nice to see! She is back to working with clients as she is one of my most useful horses to teach children (and sometimes adults) how to lead a horse. 

Buddy is continuing to settle in and he seems more comfortable being here and has figured out the routine. He has been particularly useful when I have clients visit. Usually even the most trepidatious person is won over by him. He's a smart little thing and loves to be told how cute he is. 

About that smart business. I've had to play pony rodeo a couple of times because Buddy is so smart. At night, when the ponies move to their stall and the big horses move to the dry lot, I open up the back barn door to let the cool night air in. Twice now, I have forgotten to shut the door before I move the ponies back over to the dry lot. I open doors so that the ponies can cross the aisle to the dry lot. Vienna moves right across and Buddy starts on his way. He paused and looks to see that the door is open to the pasture. I look and see that the door is open to the pasture. And I don't have a chance of beating a motivated pony to the door. Jus reactions and speed are just far quicker than mine. 

So then I get to try to catch Buddy to take him back to the dry lot. Chasing doesn't work. It's that whole speed and reaction time thing again. Instead I need to slowly approach him, stopping and backing up a bit every time he looks as though he might run. Eventually I can get close enough to give him some scratches and drop a rope around his neck. It seems as though it takes forever, but it is far faster than trying to run a marathon in the pasture. 

The first time I could understand forgetting to shut the door. It was the second time that had me kicking myself because I had even looked at the open door thinking I should shut it, but let the ponies out anyway. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

What a day, what a day...

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway