Fishing, but no fish, and a whole lot of thoughts

J. took nearly everyone on a fishing outing to a local state park today. I didn't go as I had clients to see and a presentation on EAL to give. K. didn't go because he had to work, but D. got to join in because didn't have work. 


And now, as I share pictures of their outing, I have a few thoughts to share. I'm sure you are as tired as I am about the opening ceremonies brouhaha, but if I don't write something, I'll continue to create blog posts in my head which doesn't sound restful. Humor me, here.


Thought #1: The Olympics are being held in France. France is most definitely not the US. I thought they did a great job of celebrating French history and culture with some interesting nods to areas that are challenging. (The dozens of Marie Antoinettes come to mind ) But not surprisingly, the show was very French. This is the country that gave us La Cage aux Folles in the '70's. I'm not sure why anyone was surprised. Could I also gently suggest that those who are busy being outraged just never visit France? I'm not sure you would enjoy it. Actually I'm hard pressed to think of a country to suggest instead, but they are all either too secular, too religious with the wrong religion, or too religious with the wrong type of Christianity. Your bubble right here at home is probably the safest place for you. 


Thought #2: As I was watching, I thought there was some really low hanging fruit for moral outrage and pearl clutching, and was surprised surprised at what the subject actually turned out to be. I'll admit, it never even crossed my mind. And we spent all last year studying the Renaissance. I had a copy of "The Last Supper" hanging in my dining room for months, we read a biography of Leonardo da Vinci, we read historical fiction about Leonardo da Vinci, I'm up on both the artist and his paintings. At no point did I think, "Wow, that looks just like that painting," because it didn't. That idea doesn't even make sense. At least try to keep your moral outrage to things that make sense. 


Thought #3: I feel as though I need a score card to keep up. A while back, when I attended a conservative seminary and hung with more conservative people, da Vinci's painting was seen as somewhat suspect because of the high degree of Greek, pagan influence. It was appreciated, but also looked at a bit askance. Then, more recently, teachers were fired because they were teaching Renaissance art. Naked people and all that. But now I'm supposed to boycott an event that is trying to create world understanding through sport because of a Renaissance painting. A bit of consistency would be nice.


Thought #4: Our brains tend to see what we expect to see. If you are looking for moral outrage, I guarantee you will find it. If you are looking for celebration, that is what you'll see. If you search for negative things that is what you will be surrounded with. If you search for joy and thankfulness, that is what will catch your attention. I know which view I'd rather go through life with.


Thought #5: With all due respect, God doesn't need your outrage. I can't even think of an instance where we're told to police others. Instead, we are to focus on our own business with regards to God and making sure we're loving everyone else. Even those we disagree with. No one said it would be easy. And, frankly, if a bunch of drag queens wanted to sit down to dinner with Jesus, I'm pretty sure He'd save them a seat and pass them a glass of wine. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

What a day, what a day...

Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway