Weekly update - April 27, 2024

And here it is the end of April, which seems to have zipped by.
  • Being at the horse fair all day last Saturday meant that I felt as though I was playing catch-up all week. I'm looking forward to having a whole weekend. 
  • I unearthed our electric ice cream maker and L. is entranced. She made some very good cookies and cream ice cream earlier this week.
  • Yesterday was our last day of co-op. I will very much enjoy having Thursdays back. 
  • I can feel my enthusiasm for school wanting drastically. I think we just need to take a few days to work through the schedule and be done. I do this every year. L. has suggested setting up a betting pool to see who comes closest to the actual date when I officially declare summer vacation. 
  • The horses had their farrier appointment earlier this week. She's pleased with how Vienna is doing. Not that Vienna is completely healed yet, just that her hooves are where the farrier expects them to be. It's a long, slow process and the farrier said we are probably just about a third of the way through. To add insult to injury, healing from laminitis often involves hoof abscesses. Vienna has had at least one in each foot so far. Currently she is sporting poultices on all four feet. What this really means is that she has disposable diapers which have padding soaked in Epsom salts held on with duct tape on each hoof. I replace them every 24 hours. Neither of us is terribly excited by this. 
  • But there is a lot of hope for Vienna's prognosis. Our farrier has know Buddy for a very long time and he went through the same thing and is now 100% sound.
  • I'm sure we are not the only parents of a college student to say at dinner, "Boy, I hope ___ doesn't get arrested this weekend," due to our student protesting the treatment of Gaza.
  • We made an impromptu visit to the art gallery at Fine Line Creative Arts Center. The show is called "Molten" and is of pieces made of glass or metal. There were some very beautiful pieces of art. You can still make it as it doesn't close until May 3. 
  • We have so many eggs. I should really spend some time making muffin cup omelettes to freeze as a way to preserve some of them.
  • I have not been doing much reading for whatever reason. Since January, I am averaging just about three books a month, which is less than half of my typical reading amount. But I also know myself well enough to know this is a season and not to worry about it. It's just how life is.
  • All four of the little fruit trees we planted last fall survived the winter and have buffed out. Much credit needs to go to L. for that because she was diligent in watering them all fall. 
And I know when I start writing about trees that it's time to call it a day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach