Fiber Monday - it's not even my work

It's been awhile since we've had Fiber Monday around here. That would be because I really don't have anything to show. I'm still spinning the fiber for the fabric I want to weave. I'm still knitting the hat I'm working on. I'm still weaving the band on the inkle loom. They all have had some progress made, but they are at the stage where all progress looks pretty much the same as the previous progress. 

I did take a class on freestyle knitting and crochet at the yarn store in Tempe. I loved it and have lots of ideas. I even have the ability to meet with the teacher occasionally as I figure things out. But I have had no time to begin to work on my first assignment since getting home, so nothing to show, either. 

My one accomplishment is to have taught one of my Sheep to Scarf students how to weave a twill pattern on the very simple weaving boards the are using. It's not a straightforward thing, so I'm proud of both of us for getting it working. 


This is a straight 2/2 twill, meaning that instead of the weft going over and under each warp thread, it moves over two and under two warp threads. What makes it a bit tricky (and what gives twill it's distinctive diagonal pattern) is that the pairs of two shift over one warp thread each time. It's pretty simple on a floor loom, it's a bit trickier when you have to pick up each pair manually. 

Maybe this week will be the week I can spend some time actually getting something to show. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach