Too close

We came very close to losing Vienna today. She was down when we went out to the barn this morning and we couldn't get her up. The vet couldn't get her up. She wasn't even trying to stand. She was down for at least nine hours, which that alone for a horse is deadly. Finally, late in the afternoon, she was able to find some inner reserves and try to stand and we were able to help her. 


We are not even close to being out of the woods with her yet. Walking to the barn fills me with anxiety because I don't know what we'll find. An hour ago, when we last checked, she was still up. 

Because I spent all but one hour of the day in the barn and was emotionally and physically spent, W. came to our rescue tonight with food and made dinner with G. and L.'s help. We have good kids. (And yes, they'll always be my kids even if they are grown up.) 

I have no idea what the future holds for this pony. I do know I'm not ready to say goodbye to her yet. 

Comments

papa smurf said…
o God, please please help vienna get stronger. i promise i understand the depth of animal love.

please give updates.... xoxu

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach