Reading fit for tea and blankets

I think a good portion of the country has unpleasantly cold temperatures right now. If you're not spending what feels like every waking moment carrying water around, then the next logical item on the to-do list must be curl up under a blanket with a good book and a cup of tea. 

In that case, I have a couple of book recommendations for you that are perfect for cold weather, blanket huddling, tea drinking weather. (In full disclosure, I am in the middle of both of these books myself, but I am enjoying them so much I am going to assume they continue equally as engaging. If by chance one of them goes astray before the end, I'll update you.)

The first is The Domestic Revolution: How the Introduction of Coal into Victorian Homes Changed Everything by Ruth Goodman. Now I realize that the title may sound vaguely interesting at best but holds the promise of being dull as toast. But actually, it is very engaging and extremely fascinating. If you've ever wondered how people in ages past got by without our modern comforts and conveniences, this book is for you. J. and I have been taking turns with it and both of us really want to discuss what we have been reading. There is so much lost information and knowing that didn't get passed on as technology changed. 

The second book is The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi by Shannon Chakraborty. The story centers on a pirate ship headed by a middle aged former female pirate in the Indian Ocean during the Middle Ages. There is humor and adventure and magic and daring do. The exact kind of adventure book that will make you wish the cold spell lasts long enough to be able to finish it. I am enjoying it immensely. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach