Laughing at myself

You all know I love libraries. They have many books and you can borrow as many of these books as you want. So I do that. And most of the time once I have read the book I'm happy to give it back and not have to find a place for it on my bookshelves. 

Usually the returning part isn't a problem even given the number of books that we check out. Sometimes there is a book that I'm sure we've returned but is marked overdue. Often it just didn't get scanned back in amidst the dozens of books we are returning. Every so often, a book is just genuinely missing, though.  Our library is very nice and will keep renewing it until it turns up, which it often does. Only one time recently have I paid to replace a book only for the child who checked it out to find it a week later. 

All this to say, I don't worry too much about finding books because they usually are found and our library doesn't have late fees. But today I learned that I should be a little more careful in looking at what book is actually missing. 

I got a notice that a book about the Renaissance was overdue. This was surprising because I was pretty darn sure I had returned all those books. So I stop in at the library to have the sending library search their shelves for it and get it renewed. I do realize that I hadn't checked the bag where I keep the school books I'm using, so go home and check. There is a book called The Renaissance in it, so I laugh at myself for being so sure I returned it. It gets returned the next time we head to the library, which was probably the next day. 

As we're driving home, the library calls and Y. answers my phone. It turns out that book I was so excited to return was ours. They set it aside and I can pick it up the next time I'm in. So I laugh at myself some more. But I'm still not sure what has happened to the book.

Today, I decreed that we all needed to do some picking up because the house was looking... not neat. Everyone is working and I happen to pass through the family room and glance at the pile of stuff under the television. Which is where I see a library DVD called...

The Renaissance

Well that would explain why I couldn't locate the book. 

It's returned now and I have laughed at myself some more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach