Because horses

Why do animals always wait until the weekend to injure themselves? This morning I had a parent and child out for an EFL session and we were looking at the horses when the mother asks, "Is Emmy's eye swollen?" So I look and yes, Emmy's eye was very swollen. Actually it was disturbingly swollen. I go to get a closer look and admit that I panicked a bit. (I'll put the gruesome details in brackets for those who don't want to read them)

-
-
[When I looked in her eye, which was really difficult to do, it looked for all the world like her eyeball had been punctured. I immediately called the vet because this was definitely something that couldn't wait.]
-
-       (It's safe to read again.)

I sent my clients home and waited for the vet. She got there very quickly and went to work. I love this vet. She is the same one who helped with Bristol and was so very kind. But I will admit it was very difficult to find myself in the barn with the same vet and a horse that had a very disturbing injury. Java agreed with me. I'm sure she was aware it was the same person who was helping her injured friend and she was not leaving her spot watching what was happening. I truly have never seen a horse look more worried than poor Java did. 

The very good news is that Emmy's eye ball seems just fine. The injury... whatever it was... happened to her eyelid which caused the massive swelling and pus. The vet gave her a sedative and some painkillers and got Emmy all cleaned up. I now have yet more medicine added to my collection, but was thrilled to discover that none of them were pills. (I despise dosing horses with pills they don't want to take.) By the end of the day her eye was noticably less swollen. I can start breathing again. 

One funny moment... The vet gave Emmy a small amount of sedative, but it seems that Emmy is a lightweight. In minutes she was leaning against me with her head all the way down and snoring. There's now a dosage note in her chart. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach