Weekly update - September 22, 23

I'm not entirely sure there will be much to report, because... apples.
  • Planning ahead of time to take the week off from school to process fruit was the best idea I've had in a long time. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but you know it will be on the schedule for next year. In year's past, we did end up taking off school, but just felt vaguely guilty about it instead.
  • My apple crew was as energetic today as yesterday. We got another dehydrator full of apples done, a crockpot of apple butter started, and 7 quarts of applesauce made. 
(That's 8 trays, by the way.)

  • You would never know it to look at the trees that we've processed over two bushels of apples so far. 
  • J. is trying to figure out how to make an reasonably priced cider press.
  • In non-apple news, here was our resident frog enjoying the morning.

  • Even with being overwhelmed with apples, I can tell that life is feeling more manageable with all the school planning and starting having happened.
  • Here's something I was excited about. My literature class where we discussed The Odyssey encouraged one of the students to read the whole thing. I'll take that as a win. 
  • For tea time we are reading Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King. I've read it before, but put it in the lineup because the Duomo in Florence seems an important part of the Renaissance. I won't say they're hanging on every word, but they are listening. I have a few chapter books set during the Renaissance on the list next.
  • Another week and another miniature horse I didn't buy.
  • If you were going to a networking event for your Equine Assisted Learning business and we're supposed to bring a raffle prize, what would you bring that didn't cost a fortune (or even half a fortune)?
  • Yes, I now have some time and margin to do something about finding more clients and earning some money. 
  • The apple business has been a little tough for R. 
  • H. has been helpful, but is annoyed because she really, really doesn't like applesauce and doesn't see why we should spend so much time making it.
And really, I think that's it. I'm not kidding that all we've done this week is apples. And dishes. So many dishes from processing so many apples. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach