Fiber Monday - some spinning and sewing

I don't have a lot to show today, but one of the projects has been kicking around my studio since spring and I'm happy to have it finished. 

Do you remember last year when I was making batts with the mill ends I bought? 


I had spun all of these except the two on the very left side. They were my least favorite and they were somewhat dissimilar, so I knew the yarn each made would not really match.

I finally decided to use them to learn a new spinning skill... making thick and thin yarn. I figured I'd be less than pleased with the outcome, so might as well use fiber I was not in love with. Late last week I finally finished spinning them.


This picture is dreadful, but they are very difficult to photograph when they are still wet and hanging in the bathroom to finish drying. But even with the bad photography, you can tell the left skein is much grayer than the one on the right.

I was actually overall pleased with the thick and thin bit. I'm not sure the changes in diameter really come across in the photo.


I decided to continue to experiment with this and leave it as singles with the idea I could use it as part of a mixed warp on my loom. I have a lot of weaving yarn I bought because it was a good deal, so my plan is to find some that goes together and turn it into yardage that I could sew something out of. It's a big experiment and I'm not sure it will work, but it's worth a try. 

I also started work on a different sewing pattern, having rediscovered my sewing machine last week. This is the Love Notions Laundry Day Tee. The fabric is a knit I bought six years ago. I had gone into Evanston and met a friend at Vogue Fabrics. I guess I felt as though I'd never be back and bought many yards of a lot of fabric. This was one of them. (And because Vogue closed their store and moved everything into their warehouse, in a sense I was correct about never returning.) 


I like it overall, but this particular edition I won't be finishing. Fit wise it's not where I want it. I should have cut out the full bust front instead of the regular and the medium sleeves just don't work. I think it's from hauling too much water over the past few years because I think I need to cut out the extra-large size sleeve if I want any ease at all. 

It's a very easy pattern and very fast if you are using a serger. I could have had this completely finished if the fit had been correct. 

It's a good pattern, though, and I like all the different options... three lengths of hem, four sleeve options, and three necklines which are all interchangeable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach