Skunked

So it seems I wrote yesterday's rather complaining post a wee bit too early last night. The day was going to end on a high note.

We were doing “just about to get ready for bed” things last night, and J. took the myriad of dogs who are living here for a last time out. I was doing... something. I'm sure it was vitally important such as playing Mine Sweeper on my phone, when I heard J. calling me. Now, when J. calls me asking me to come downstairs there's usually some sort of emergency. Last night was not the exception.

I get downstairs to find an unhappy J. standing with an unhappy Aster who were both smelling more than a little like skunk. 

After some quick Googling (I think Gretel was the last of our dogs to run afoul of a skunk which would have been nearly ten years ago), we put the very unhappy dog in the downstairs bathtub along with hydrogen peroxide (well, at least what was left in the bottle), baking soda, and dish soap. We got her very soapy and then rinsed her off. What that sentence doesn't convey is J. working very hard to keep her from jumping out of the tub while Aster cried and moaned at top volume as only a husky can. We (and the bathroom) were extremely wet when we were done. The skunk smell was less at least. Aster also had to spend the night in her crate because who wants a very wet, slightly skunky dog running around? Actually, because the crate was not the bathtub, Aster was pretty relieved to be there.

J. cleaned himself up, we soaked his clothes in baking soda, and I started the skunky doggy towels in the washer right away. 

This morning the skunk smell is nearly all abated, but if the humidity weren't at 2000%, it would be even better. I'm hoping for a quieter night tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach