Fiber Monday - warp painting class

This past Saturday I took a day long warp painting class at Fine Line. It was exactly what it sounds like... you hand paint a measured warp that you will eventually weave with. (The warp are the long threads that are wound on the loom.) I had to go to class with a measured and prepared warp. This took many more hours than I had anticipated and it was pretty much my sole accomplishment on Thursday and Friday. I got it done and was ready for class. Had I known, I would have started sooner.

Actually, no. No, I would not have started sooner. Who am I kidding? I would have waited until the last minute regardless. 

Anyway.

It really did take most of Saturday to paint, but it is a very relaxing way to spend a day. Because I had the right equipment at home, I was able to take my warp home unsteamed so the color had longer to penetrate the fiber. The color took exceptionally well. 

After it had cooled I got to open it up to see what it looked like.





The instructions were to divide the warp into many small and sections and they were layed out parallel to one another. Then as they were painted, I rolled them up into the bundle. (Several children thought it looked like a caterpillar before I unrolled it.) As I unrolled it, I then had to chain it up because the next step was to wash it to rinse out any unabsorbed dye. I was happy that there was no excess dye, especially because I used so many blues and they are a bit notorious.

The chain after washing.



This is silk, so when it is wet it looks quite a bit darker than when it is dry. Here's the dry version.



I'm really pleased with it. The next step is to figure out what color I'm going to use for warp and dye that. Since I have one large project on the loom currently and another in the wings, it's going to be a bit until I can weave this. I am planning on making a scarf. Well, two scarves because I measured enough warp for two. 

The best part is I already have all the right dye supplies so I could make many more paired warps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach