Blaming the ducks

As you might have already guessed, I didn't post last night. I'll save my fiber doings for next Monday; it wasn't as though there was a lot to share anyway. I meant to write a post, but we got sidetracked.

After dinner last night, we took people to our local ice cream place for a treat. It was so busy! Busier than usual, and it took a while. If we were just heading straight back home, a blog post might have happened. We weren't heading straight back home, though. Earlier in the day, I saw a post on a free group about a small chicken coop someone was offering. We needed the coop, so I jumped on it. The person giving it away wanted it gone that day, so, since we were going to be in town anyway, I thought we'd just swing by and throw it in that back of the van after our ice cream treat. It sounds simple enough, right?

Well, I wasn't counting on it being dark, and I wasn't counting on it being quite as large as it was. So picture us stopped on a residential street, in the dark, using the flashlights on our phones, trying to wrangle a rather large coop into the back of the van and then finding it wasn't going to fit. (Had we been thinking, we would have taken a bench out.) So J. had some straps which he kind of wound around the coop and the back doors (which were definitely not shut because a foot and a half of chicken coop was hanging out of them.) Once that was done, we drove home. Carefully. I'm happy to report there were no untoward incidents on the way. Here it is in the daylight.


I even took a picture of the van with the coop hanging out of it last night. I'll share it, but only because I have a reputation for bad photography that every so often needs to be shored up. This should suffice for quite a while. (Plus bad photographs annoy certain of my children, so there's that as well.)


Pretty amazing, huh? We'll move on.

The reason we needed the coop was that in the middle of July, 15 day old chicks will be arriving. (What was I thinking? Actually I know exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking I very much disliked paying $5/dozen for eggs. It seemed a good idea in the moment.) But, chicks. We do have a second chicken pen, but it is currently serving as a penitentiary for the Bad Boy Ducks. 


They are no longer welcome to hang with the other ducks because they are sexual predators. Because we haven't yet decided what to do with the Bad Boy Ducks, the pen that was going to house the new chickens is full. (This starts to sound like a too much poultry issue as I tell it.) And now we have a third coop which will buy us a couple weeks more until they outgrow it. 

This is why there was no blog post last night. It's all the ducks' fault. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach