Just read it.

As you know I read a lot of books about the brain and emotional health. At some point I came across reference to a book called Lost Connections: Why You're Depressed and How to Find Hope by Johann Hari. (I have no idea what the librarians make of my book requests.) Even though the title does not give you the sense that this is going to be a rollicking good read, it actually turned out to be one of the most hopeful books that I have read. 

The basic premise is that depression and anxiety are not caused by chemical imbalances in the brain and antidepressants are only able to actually help to a limited degree. (I know this is a radical for people if it's the first time you're hearing it, but the science behind the claim is exceedingly strong.) Instead, depression and anxiety are normal reactions to abnormal circumstances. 

The author has narrowed down these abnormal circumstances to disconnection from meaningful work, from other people, from meaningful values, from childhood trauma, from status and respect, and from the natural world. We are meant to be connected, but instead we are increasingly disconnected from ourselves, other people, and from the world we live in. We were not made to live this way, and our bodies and emotions are making this wrongness known.

What was hopeful were the powerful stories of people choosing to live differently for themselves and choosing to make life different for others. When we choose connection, even with people who are very different from ourselves, our world feels safer and more meaningful. And depression and anxiety rates fall.

Connection and safety. Safety and connection. It is the key. Our bodies and our emotions crave these two things. Without them, we suffer distress in a myriad of ways. 

It did confirm for me, my assertion that it wasn't Covid which was behind the rapid rise of students suffering from depression and anxiety in record numbers. It just highlighted a broken system that was made worse. Our children are telling us in any number of ways that the system is failing them. Yet everyone is spending every waking moment trying to figure out how to fix the children instead of fixing the system which is making them sick. And if the numbers are anything to go by, it is also making their parents sick as well. The "experts" are focusing on the wrong problem.

But I digress. Again. 

My point? Read this book. I know I tell you to read a lot of books, but I really need you to read this one. You need you to read this one. Our society needs you to read this one.

Comments

Cate said…
Thank you for this (and your list of Brain Books! I've started working through it!). This rings really true to me both in my own life and the lives of people all around me. It does feel like an uphill slog to help others connect and even connect ourselves - I think it requires radical lifestyle changes for those of us who have been seduced by American Consumerism and Technology - but it's really worth it! Thank you again!
Leslie said…
I just read the middle grade book, The Ogress and the Orphans. It is a fantasy book. Obviously. There is an ogress after all, but it was very allegorical about our modern society and our current habit of shutting ourselves off from the world around us due to the increasing paranoia we have about the world we live in. There is a happy ending! I really enjoyed it.
thecurryseven said…
Leslie, thanks for the book recommendation. I'm adding it to my list.

e

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach