Weekly update - February 10, 2023

This may end up being the weekly update per version. 
  • H. is really great about learning something new in her art class and then coming home and practicing that new thing multiple times. This habit definitely has improved her skills significantly. Here is the artwork she finished today with her new skills.

It's quite something, huh? There was no tracing involved at all if you were curious. The shimmery effect is done by using salt on the paint.


  • I have been having everyone watch a complete Great Courses class, watching one or two lectures a week, on cathedrals. Earlier this week K. built a cathedral in Minecraft. I have to say, he did a darn good job of getting all the important parts in there.
  • I am very happy to report that Bristol's leg is looking significantly better. I'm still wrapping it, but I'm no longer worried about it. And she finished her last dose of antibiotics at dinner tonight which is going to make all of us happy.
  • The weather has been warmer, which is lovely, but it also means that the pastures are a muddy, sticky mess and I can't really turn the horses out on them. They've been spending a lot of time in the dry lot. It's much better than a stall, but not as nice as a whole big field. This morning it was just frozen enough they could go out for a little while. The first thing everyone did was have a nice roll.

  • Look at that sun and blue sky!! It has been such a dreary winter this felt heavenly today. 
  • Earlier this week Delta, the Guinea pig, joined us for school. (No, I don't know why.) But then K. felt as though Delta needed to dress up for the occasion.

  • Earlier this week A. needed us to watch Olive for the day. Olive missed A. I think.

  • And today W. and MC needed us to watch Mambo the puppy for a bit. I tell you, this is the way to have a puppy. The puppy comes for visits and when he is here there are six people happy to watch him all the time and take him out as needed. My job was to occasionally get a puppy snuggle then go back to what I was doing. Here is Mambo watching some video game playing.

  • There were no eggs today. This is sad.
  • I finished Project Hail Mary earlier in the week. If you haven't read it you really should, even if you don't read science fiction. It was so good.
  • I'm currently in the middle of Cloud Cuckoo Land, which I am also enjoying. I admit to being a little worried about each of the characters and am hoping for a happy ending. It feels a little perilous at the moment.
  • I really need to get a move on planning spring and summer equine related classes. I kept saying I would get it done in February, and here February is nearly half done.
  • The treadmill continues to be a success and I'm using it five or six days a week. Having interesting classes to watch really has made the difference.
  • All the seeds I ordered have arrived. I plan on starting them right at the beginning of March. Then it really will feel as though spring is on the way.
  • The weekend is looking beautiful. It's supposed to be sunny (!) and in the 40's. Even better is that we have no ours plans. It sounds pretty lovely if you ask me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If you haven't read Becky Chambers 'Psalm for the Wild-Built' and 'Prayer for the Crown-Shy' but like some level of science fiction, I think you would love them. They are short, and really lush and hopeful. Best books I've read in a long time and I don't usually go in for much Sci-Fi unless it has some religious themes (And on that note - I assume you've read Mary Doria Russell's "The Sparrow"...so good, but devastating - if not, do that soon!).

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach