Phishing

We have a family group chat between us (E. and J.) and our six older children. A few days ago, B. shared a funny phishing text that he received:

Hello, I am your Egyptian uncle (you probably don't really know me but my name is Joshua and I am your father's brother) and I am here to tell you that your aunt Bil has died. ❤️😥  if you would like to donate to the funeral funds please send me your credit card number
Thank you and may your aunt Bil rest in pieces.🙏❤️

As you might imagine, there was quite a bit of family joking about this particular text. We were particularly amused by aunt Bil resting in pieces. And no, B. did not supply his credit card information.

Then earlier today, B. receives another message from the same phone number. It says:

Brainy:0

This is far more odd than the original phishing attempt. So he asks, "Who is this?"

It's the kids extra phone :]
L. is the one currently sending you random things.

Yes, indeed, L. was the original author of the first message. [Brainy is L.'s particular nickname for B.] Our younger six do not have personal cell phones, but because we don't have a landline, we do have an extra phone that is around in case of emergencies when I leave them at home by themselves. Clearly, this phone is being put to its intended use as you can see. 

B. shared this new piece of information right before my Creative Writing class started. I had to wait a minute to begin class to pay attention to the group chat because none of us suspected that L. And because it was Creative Writing, I then shared L.'s recent creative endeavor with the class. I had to explain why I was laughing so much at any rate. 

If you are curious, knowing it was L. did not cause B. to want to share his credit card information any more than he did before. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach