Fiber Monday - decisions

I mentioned that our co-op had been cancelled due to weather last week which meant an entire day of unscheduled time. I decided to take advantage of it and do some weaving. I had made sure the day before that I had finished dressing the loom so it was all ready to go. It felt like a total indulgence to spend an entire afternoon weaving. 

I was able to weave the entire sampler that I planned so I could decide how to weave the napkins I want to make. 

Here is the entire piece off the loom. I took these pictures before I washed it and trimmed the ends.


It's really difficult to see what's going on, so I'll share a close-up of each section. I used the same sequence of patterns for each color of weft.


This is a taupe and black linen. It's the same fiber that made such a rotten warp with the last attempt. It is much better as a warp. The linen changes the most with washing. When I'm weaving with it, it is somewhat stiff and course, but after it's washed it's very soft and flexible. I'm not sure if you can see a difference in photos, but in person it is significant. Here is the washed version of the linen.



Next is a red cotton. I like the way it looks, but really doesn't work with the table runner.


This is an orange cotton. It is a slightly larger yarn than any of the others. Color wise it works the best with the runner, but it just feels really thick compared to the others.



This is a taupe cotton. I do really like how the patterns show up. It also is not horrible with the runner.



I had a little bit of warp left so wove a couple of bigger sections of a specific pattern. I'm really loving the combination of the linen and the pattern in the very bottom. I think what I want to do is weave this particular pairing as cloth yardage and use it to sew some sort of jacket. Don't you think that would be interesting?


For reference, here is the table runner I thought I would try and coordinate with.


Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the taupe cotton both because I like the way it looks and because it was more enjoyable to weave with than the orange.

In other fiber news, I finished combing the 400g of blue wool and have just a lot left of the ugly brown. I am also pretty close to having what I do have combed all spun. Maybe I'll have some yarn to share soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach