Another good book

2023 has been a good reading year for fiction so far. All last year I found it difficult to find fiction books that caught my interest and there were extremely few five star books (if any) in what I did read. This year? Completely different.

The last book I finished was Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr. I had several people recommend it to me, so when I found a copy at the library I grabbed it. 

Other than knowing it involved multiple story lines, I didn't know much about it. I'm okay with multiple story lines, so that's never a deal breaker. The ancient Greek story of Cloud Cuckoo Land is the connecting thread, though I admit that I was really curious how the author was going to tie everything together as the pieces were so incredibly disparate. 

A word of warning, though. This is not a book with a quick start. It takes a while to get to know the characters and to figure out where each of their individual stories is headed. At one point I even Googled, "Does Cloud Cuckoo Land have a happy ending?" because I wasn't sure I wanted to keep going if the fairly dire trajectories of each story continued. Without spoiling the ending I managed to glance at enough information to make me feel more secure about everyone's fate.

(I will often, when I am overly worried about a character, flip to the end of a book to see if I can see that character's name. I don't read the ending, I just want to know it is safe to continue so I can enjoy the reading experience.) 

About halfway through, right about when I was wondering if I should keep going, the very different story lines start to become connected. And then I was hooked. I plowed through the rest of the book in a fraction of the time it took to read the first half. It was an incredibly satisfying ending and worth every bit of slow going at the front end. Plus, it's a book about the power of story which I always find enjoyable.

So if you are just about through with Project Hail Mary, here is your next book. And if I don't put up a post, it is probably because I'm too engrossed in a book to sit down and write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach