Weekly update - January 20, 2023

This month seems to be speeding by, doesn't it?
  • Well, speeding except for the give the horse antibiotics twice a day and wrap the horse's leg once a day. I've never looked forward to February so much in my life.
  • Bristol does seem to be doing okay and her leg is not looking infected, so that makes it all worth it.
  • Tet and Chinese New Year are this Sunday, so preparations have started. The decorations have been put up.  


  • Y. has decided that she is making homemade baozi (banh bao in Vietnam, steamed buns in English) tomorrow to add to dinner on Sunday. Helping to make these was a part of her life before us and she really wanted that to be part of her celebration. No one in the house will turn down bao. I started the crock pot tonight so the char sui pork will be ready for her in the morning.
  • I also realized today that other than Y.'s bao, I had done nothing else to add to the holiday's dinner. So I headed off to the not-so-local Chinese market. It wasn't as busy as I feared it would be. So now I am well supplied with noodles, fresh fruit, dried fruit, and candy. What type of candy? Who knows, it's all in Chinese. It will be an adventure.
  • We are titrating R. up on her new medication. We've had two nights of her sleeping the through the night. That's fantastic, but like previous periods of titration, daytime behavior has been challenging. Today was better, so I hope we're past that.
  • R. also drew this the other day. It's flowers with stems with leaves. Something she has never drawn before. I'll take this as a good sign. (The toy was swag collected at the neurologist's office.)

  • We had a load of hay delivered last weekend. Seeing this in the barn makes me very happy.


  • I am still using the treadmill nearly every morning. Having the Great Courses classes to watch was truly the key to it feeling palatable.
  • I am currently watching a course on the neuroscience of mindfulness.
  • The poor horses have been in the dry lot for a week because the weather has been above freezing. They can't go out in the pasture because it is mud and I don't want them to wreck it anymore than they already have.
  • We finished the next to last Thursday Next book at teatime. We just have one left and then I'll have to figure out what we'll read next. The beauty of reading through a series is that you always know what you're going to read next.
  • I'm realizing that I should start thinking about seeds... ordering them, starting them, etc. 
  • When I was at the store this week, I realized that a package of bacon costs less than a dozen eggs. Have I mentioned that our hens are not currently laying? Do you have any idea how much I wish those hens, who just sit around eating feed, would start laying?
  • We had a brief moment of sun today. It was a glorious fifteen minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach