Fiber Monday - I'm weaving!

There's not a whole lot to show today. This is because most of my free time has been spent working to get my new floor loom functional. All weekend I spent getting cords made and put on so that I could attach the warp to the loom. For example,


See all those white cords attached to the warp beam? I measured, tied, and attached each and every one of them. There were over one hundred. It was not terribly fun, but was one of those tasks I will probably never need to do again. The front beam also needed cords, just not quite so many. After that was done it was ready to put a warp on. As you can see from the photo up there, I did get a warp on! It actually went on very easily. It is yarn that I probably will never use for a warp again because I don't like it, but it was good to use for a trial run that might not work.

But it is working! Look!!


Because it is working, I now have a warp that I want to figure out something that might be useful. I've now tried several difficult wefts as you can see, both to just experiment with and to see if there is anything I like. The blue pearl cotton on the top is the least objectionable, so maybe I'll make a small table runner with it. 

Now that I have it working, I'm trying to figure out what my first real project should be on it. Right now I have too many possibilities so need to narrow them down some.

Finishing getting the loom running also meant my brain felt free to think about other things. This meant I finally finished those knitting needle bags I started a bit ago and got the needles all sorted into them. Of course, then I discovered that they didn't fit in the bin anymore. I found a large zipped bag that they do fit in, so that's where they'll live.


This also means that when I take a knitting class, all I have to do is grab the bag and I'll have everything I need. And I am taking a knitting class on how to knit brioche, so this has ended up to be a good thing.

Finally, the last thing I did was start a dye notebook, which has been on my mental to-do list for a while. With this I'll have a record of colors I've dyed and the combination of dye stock I used to get them.

Here is the side with all the colors I've dyed so far.


And on the reverse is the dye stock and intensity that created it. So far these are just the straight colors. I hadn't wanted to start mixing until I had a way to keep track of what I was doing. I find looking at this page highly satisfying.


But now I have a whole bunch more colors to work with because all my adult children joined together to give me a huge amount of other colors. It is going to be fun to experiment with them all. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach