Fiber Monday - Socktober

Well, it's October and I'm knitting a sock, but whether or not that translates into an actual finished pair by the end of the month seems very, very unlikely. Here is how far I've gotten.


To remind you, this is made from the raw fleece I got for Christmas last year. Both colors came from the same sheep. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have enough to make a pair, despite what I thought was careful measuring.Definitely the heels and toes will need to be in a different yarn if not the entire foot portion. I am really happy with my color work at the top, though.

My spinning class is really starting to get the hang of things and have been spinning up a storm. This is great! It also means that it is a little more work to keep them in fiber than I had anticipated. Here is the next batch of fleece I dyed for them. I decided to go with a Halloween theme this time.


I've also continued to work on my dye project. I finished the spruce and sun yellow colors, and I have turquoise drying.


I think I need to find another basket to store it all in. There are six colors finished so far, so that's 600 grams of fiber (or 21 ounces). I have two different browns, burgundy, and emerald green to go. (I still have to mix up the emerald dye solution.) I hope I have enough fiber from this particular fleece to get through the rest. I also have black, but I'll only do that if I have enough fleece. I mainly want to use the black to change the tone of some of the other colors.


And that's all I've done this week, fiber-wise. There were Viking ships and apples and birthday parties and somehow playing with fiber just didn't rise to the top.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I very much enjoy Fiber Mondays! I’m a knitter so it’s very interesting for me to learn more about the yarn process. Have you read any of the newsletters on The Wool Channel (thewoolchannel.com)by Clara Parkes? She offers a free newsletter that does a deep dive into all things wool. I look forward to seeing more of your weaving and knitting projects.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach