Fiber Monday - Lots of pictures

My weaving class last week was wonderful. It was such a gift to be able to spend three entire days doing nothing but hanging out with creative people and making things. I don't tend to transition well, and moving from that back to real life was a little difficult. Here's what I made.


This is a sampler of different combinations of huck lace. I discovered that it is very difficult to take a good picture of huck lace which really gives you an accurate representation of it. This next picture is of the sampler under tension on the loom and the one underneath it is the sampler off the loom and washed. You can see how the floats open up and make it look more lace like. 



While there is still a significant amount of information I'm still trying to wrap my head around regarding weaving, I did end up understanding this structure more than I thought I would on the first day of class. This is also a weave structure I cannot weave on my little loom I have here at home. That loom just doesn't have enough treadles to make it possible. Yes, I do covet a larger loom. No, it is not going to happen any time soon because they are not inexpensive. Even a used loom in decent shape is still close to $2000. Money (or more precisely the lack of money) is such an annoyance sometimes.

I also finished the cardigan I spun the yarn for and then knitted. Here it is. It fits very well and is very comfortable. I am inordinately pleased with it.




I also did a pretty decent job of planning the amount of yarn I would need. This is what I had left.


Back to weaving for a moment. These two dishtowels came off my loom at home this week. I still need to trim ends and hem them, but they are all washed. I still have quite a bit of this warp left on the loom, so will probably be able to get three or four more dishtowels out of it. These are made out of cotton yarn.



Finally, my dyeing project continues. That would be the one where I am dyeing 100 grams of fleece each of the colors of dye that I have at a 1% depth of shade. This way I will have some reference for what each of the dye colors really looks like and will make it easier to start combining the dyes for different shades. This orange was the last to come out of the hanging dryer.


And here are the three colors I've done so far. I have red and spruce green drying currently. That gives me about seven more colors to do. 


I plan on making each of these into a 3-ply fingering weight yarn. Past that point I have no idea what this will all turn into except for the small amounts of yarn which will go into my dye notebook as reference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach