Apple Cider Doughnuts

I had people asking for the doughnut recipe I used yesterday, so here it is. This has been in my recipe book for decades and I have absolutely no idea where I got it from. As much as I would love to attribute it, I can't. I will give you the recipe as it was written which makes twelve doughnuts. Twelve! Ha!! I triple it when I make it. I know I triple it when I make it because at some point in the past, I wrote out the correct amounts for the tripled recipe. Now when I open the recipe book, I see that marked in and think,"Oh, I must triple this," so I do. I often leave myself little notes like this. I never actually remember having done so when I come across them again, but am thankful for earlier me's foresight in knowing I wouldn't remember whatever little note I made. But on to the recipe.

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup apple cider
4 TBSP butter, melted
Vegetable oil for frying [I use canola oil, and to have enough oil to fry three dozen doughnuts and also to be deep enough in the pot I use, I need two regular sized bottles. I then save that oil in the refrigerator and use it at least once more before tossing it.]

In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. [Sift? I use a fork to make sure everything is mixed.] In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and cider. [I also use a fork for this.] Stir in the melted butter. [Either temper your egg mixture or wait for the butter to cool slightly if you don't want scrambled eggs.] Make a well in the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients. Turn the soft dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 1/2-inch thick round. Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in a deep pot over medium-heat. [Three inches seems shallow. I aim for 5-6 inches.] Using a doughnut cutter [or a glass or a biscuit cutter and use a small knife to cut out the center if you want doughnut holes... if you don't care about doughnut holes, just poke a hole with your finger] to form rings. once the oil begins to bubble, use a [slotted] spatula to carefully lower a doughnut into the hot oil. Once doughnut rises to the surface and begins to brown, flip with spatula. Remove after 2-3 minutes or when golden brown. Drain on paper towels. [A note on frying. I always throw a doughnut hole in first to see if my oil is hot. It should sink down to the bottom, then fairly quickly rise to the surface. If it takes a long time to rise back up, your oil isn't hot enough. I also can fry four doughnuts at a time. You just want there to be enough room in your pot so that the doughnuts can float on the surface with room to move around.]

Stir together glaze and spoon over doughnuts.

Glaze

1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 TBSP apple cider

They are very good and very filling and we really do only have them once a year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach