Freezing avocados

Avocados were  on sale at Aldi last week for 50 cents each. This is a stock up price in my opinion, so that's what I did. I shared a picture on my Facebook page of me freezing them that garnered a lot interest, so I thought I'd write more about that here. 

Avocados do freeze. I'm not sure they're great to use plain after freezing, but they make good guacamole. Here's what I do. 

First, I freeze the peeled and pitted halves on a baking sheet lined with foil. I like using foil because it makes it easier to remove the frozen halves 


I cover the avocados with plastic wrap before putting them in the freezer to stop them from turning brown. Then freeze them for at least 24 hours. This is what they looked like when I took them out of the freezer today.


There's a little frost around the edges, but still green!


Then I put them all in a (labelled!) freezer bag and back into the freezer they go.


To use them, I'll take what I need out of the bag, wrap them in plastic wrap, and put them in the refrigerator to thaw. Then... Guacamole!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach